Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

3D Connextion space mouse

wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
 I have a wireless space mouse, just got it and it worked fine for a couple of days. Now it only has zoom function in Onshape, it works fine in their trainer. I've tried all the suggestions on the forums uninstall, reinstall, turn off firewall, etc. Nothing changes.
When I look for the page https://127.51.68.120:8181/version
It fails, gives an (err_connection_refused) Message 
Is this a problem on 3D connexions side or Onshape, or on my computer?
I have two machines and the ability to run on different internet connections, I've tried all the combinations I can think of makes no difference. 
Interested in any ideas you might have!

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited February 2018
    Hi @wayne_sauder ,

Sorry to hear you're having this trouble.  With the connection error on the version check page, it sounds like the problem is on the 3D Connexion side.  Please contact them and see if they have any advice.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭

It is a 3DConnexion Driver Issue.  Works sometimes on some computers but, if you dare to switch the computer off overnight, chances are that it will not work next day.

I have 4 x Win10  Laptops running Onshape, Solidworks, and Fusion360 as follows:

Dell M4800 Workstation

Dell M4500 Workstation

Dell Inspiron 1520

Lenovo Ideapad 700

I have 2 x 3DConnexion Mice for Laptops, one wired Space Navigator for Laptops, one Space Mouse Wireless.

All computers are fully up to date with latest drivers and Win10 updates.  I use the latest version of Chrome.

Problem is that the 3DConnexion mice do not work with Onshape or Solidworks with the 3 Dell Laptops (all I get is jerky zoom in and out).  The3DConnexion trainer and Fusion360 work fine.

Funny thing is that both mice work fine on all 3 Programs (Onshape, Solidworks, and Fusion360) when I use the Lenovo Ideapad 700, so I am forced to use my ultra-portable Lenovo laptop in order to use the benefits of 3DConnexion mice.

I tried going back in time with 3DConnexion drivers, but with no success.

My IT expert is of the opinion that there is a problem with the 3DConnexion drivers.

3DConnexion Support is totally non-existent in Australia.  All they are interested in is sales.  I cannot log into my 3DConnexion account  or forum to report the issue to 3Connexion, because the login process is broken.  I reported the broken login issue to the suggested email link in the 3DConnexion website, but have had absolutely no response.

Please help. I have a very angry wife.

• KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    What I do when my SpaceExplorer doesn't work in Onshape in Chrome:
    1. Close Chrome
    2. Stop the 3Dconnexion driver
    3. Start the driver
    4. Open 3Dconnexion Cube demo
    5. Start Chrome and Onshape

in fact my real problem is with CATIA v5 where SE works for first few seconds and stops. Then I do above steps to get SE working in CATIA. :-)
    New info, maybe it will help anybody.
    I was forced to make repair installation of my Windows 10 system because of failures with network an wifi card. After Fresh install with keeping apps and setting the SpaceExplorer works without need to use Onshape tricks. It is enough to stop and start driver. :-)
    G
    M
    T
    Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSesothoSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZulu
    AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSesothoSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZulu
    Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters
  • adam_richardsonadam_richardson Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I've had this issue too - for me I could get it to work in Chrome mostly, or in another browser *when Chrome was running*, which is very weird. 3DConnexion did get back to me with some diagnostic steps but honestly haven't had a chance to run through them. There's another thread that I started that's also got a couple of recent answers in it, so check that one out. Someone in it has a suggestion for fixing an issue in Windows Defender firewall, though I haven't had a chance to try it myself to see if it works for my situation.
    Tentative good news!!

3DConnexion released Version 10.5.5 on 22Feb2018.

I replaced Version 10.5.4 with Version 10.5.5 on my 2 Dell workstations and, lo and behold, all works as intended on Onshape, Solidworks and Fusion360.

It remains to be seen if 3DConnexion remains stable.  Please excuse my scepticism.  Once bitten, twice shy!!
  • adam_richardsonadam_richardson Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    That driver update doesn't appear to have fixed anything for me, sadly. In fact, now I can't get anything other than zoom to work at all in Firefox, whereas before I could if Chrome were running at the same time. Works beautifully in Chrome, so I'll just have to use that for Onshape for the time being. I also tried the tip of adding an app to Windows Defender Firewall, that didn't make any difference.

BTW I now have a second system and am seeing the same problem on both. Older one is a Surface Book, the new one is an brand new HP Z2 Mini workstation, so a completely different system, drivers, graphics card etc. Both running latest version of Windows 10 (1709). I followed up a few days ago with 3Dconnexion from the ticket I originally filed a couple months ago, haven't heard back yet.
    Try to start your computer without space mouse connected. Login to windows and then connect space mouse. It works for me that way.
    G
    M
    T
    Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSesothoSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZulu
    AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSesothoSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZulu
    Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters
    I knew my scepticism was justified. 

The latest version worked great for 2 days, and this morning after switch on, just like before the 3DConnexion mouse will not work with Onshape on my 2 Dell Workstations.  Back to the age old jerky zoom in and out regardless of selected motion.  Works fine with Solidworks and Fusion360.

I tried the boot without the mouse connected, then connect the mouse after everything settles, but no joy.  This trick used to work a couple of months ago, but deteriorated to not working at all.

Still works fine on my Lenovo Ideapad with the previous version.  I am very reluctant to install the latest version on the Lenovo in case it stuffs it as well.  So back to using Onshape on the Lenovo. Sigh!!!
  • EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    It's possible that the service that the 3dconnexion mouse uses to communicate with the browser is not running.  One thing you could try is:
    • Find and execute "3dxnlserver.exe".  (It was in C:\Program Files (x86)\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxNLServer\bin on my computer)
    • If Onshape is open, reload the page
    • Once the page is loaded, click on the graphics area to make sure the tab has focus.
    The 3dconnexion driver should be starting this service automatically, but it may be failing for some reason.  If the service is running, you should see version information if you go to https://127.51.68.120:8181/version:
    You requested /version<br>Server version: 1.2.3.14519

• howard_di_lameohoward_di_lameo Member Posts: 9
    Running machine without mouse connected and connecting it after works for me, thanks!
    OK.  I have a method that seems to work reliably, so far.

1.  In the morning, boot the computer with the USB 3DConnexion Mouse connected and wait for everything to settle (5 minutes).

2.  From desktop, run "3DConnexion Home"

3. From 3DConnexion Home, run "Viewer".  This software is terrible, because it appears to hang with the spinning circle of death.  However, once you get sick of waiting, click on the Top RH corner "X" in an attempt to close the window.  Lo and behold, the test model loads (instead of closing the window).  What Mickey Mouse software!!  A 10 year old kid could write better software.

4.  Once the test model appears, use the 3DConnexion mouse to move the model around.  This appears to jolt the 3DxNLServer into life.

5.  Close both Viewer and 3DConnexion Home windows.

6.  Open Onshape and the 3DConnexion mouse works as intended.  Sometimes I have to move a model around using arrow keys first, then use the 3DConnexion mouse.  Once you get it functioning, it will work all day.

7.  Repeat Steps 1 to 6 next day.

I have persisted with investigating the issue of 3DXConnexion USB Mice (jerky Zoom) with Onshape when using my Dell Workstation Laptops.  Interesting thing is that the problem does not exist on a low power Lenovo Ideapad.

I finally (after 3 months), have communication with 3DXConnexion Support in Germany.  I am still working with them to fully resolve the issue.

In a nutshell, on the Dells, 3DXConnexion 3DXNIServer is not being initiated from 3DXConnexion 3DXService (a batch file in Startup).  3DXNIServer is the driver that is used to communicate to cloud computing applications such as Onshape.

Works fine on the lowly Lenovo.  I am thinking there is a timing issue during the boot routine, where the Dells are too quick.

I am running the latest version of Chrome and 3DXConnexion (10.5.5).

As a temporary workaround, this daily routine (Steps 2 and 3 below) works:

1.   Disable 3DxService in Task Manager Startup. (See Figure 1)

2.   Boot the Dell Computer and wait until everything settles.

3.   From the Windows Icon in the bottom LH corner Type “3DxService”.

4.   Select “Enable Driver”. 

Figure 2 shows in Task Manager, 3DXNIServer is running and Onshape functions as expected.

Figure 3 shows 3DXService enabled in Task Manager Startup.  This is the boot condition in my situation, that causes the jerky Zoom problem.

Figure 4 shows 3DXNIServer operation is missing if I boot with 3DXService enabled in Startup.  This is the reason why 3DConnexion USB Mice do not work with Cloud based Onshape.

Figure 1. 3DxService Disabled in Startup

Figure 2. 3DXNIServer running after Driver Enabled

Figure 3. 3DxService Enabled

Figure 4. Task Manager Services if 3DxService enabled in Startup

• fredrik_falkmanfredrik_falkman Member Posts: 6 PRO
    After many months of uninterrupted success, my space mice (both wired and wireless) stopped working for Onshape on Chrome/Mac mid-session yesterday. Still works in Safari. Latest updates, restarts, etc.