Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What is the difference between a Discussion and a Question in the Onshape Forums?

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
edited August 2014 in General
In the forum I am given the option of Ask a Question or New Discussion. Selecting either one provides a form that offers the same Categories and and sections to complete. I am not sure why I would do one or the other...

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Discussions are conversations about a topic and can be a collection of comments around a particular topic.

Questions on the other hand are looking for a specific question and the asker can mark the best answer. They are posted the same but have different goals.

As far as who can answer them, anyone can including Onshape employees. We enabled it to see what people thought of the two options.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Phil_HertelPhil_Hertel Member Posts: 5
    I like the ability to first review discussions related to my issue and then ask a specific question if necessary.
  • len_1962len_1962 Member Posts: 19 EDU
    how can we change if we picked to wrong type.
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    @len_1962 , There is option to edit if any user wrong type. User has to go in option menu which is top right corner of user comment. After that click on edit option then user can edit or change his post/ comment. Below image show the step to do edit operation.

• OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    Viru. I don't thing they question was how to correct wrong "typing." I think the question was how to change the type of poser from a "discussion" to a "question" after its already been posted. Do you have instructions to do this?
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    oops.....didn't know this was an option.  Will make a note of it....
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Had NO idea there was a difference. Must admit this forum software is the most difficult I have ever used - by far. There might be some hidden options but I can't find them to save my life. Follow? Delete? Gotta be here somewhere.
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    ...and can you tell the difference by looking at the list of posts?
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @larry_hawes
    If it is a question, it will either say 'question', 'answered', or 'accepted answer' below it on the main forum page
    If it doesn't have any of these, it is a discussion, unless you are in the improvement requests section of the forum
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • don_bdon_b Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Another feature rich option that probably was not needed......as regards the "discussion vs question"  however the "answered" post is a nice feature ......I answered a question here once and it showed up answered even though I am a rank amature with this software....which I thought was funny....It was not a green color just gray more features I guess .......
  • nawaz_nawaznawaz_nawaz Member Posts: 4
    Below image show the step to do edit operation.
  • nawaz_nawaznawaz_nawaz Member Posts: 4
    nice post like it
  • noir_viornoir_vior Member Posts: 2
    Discussions are aimed at conversation and don't have life-cycle. While questions are intended to be answered and then closed off. The one thing i like about questions is that the best answer/solution is pinned at the top regardless of its position in all the comments.