Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

drawing scale

I'm wondering is there a way to enlarge a drawing to fill the paper space?

Answers

• Options
    michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    I'm assuming you are talking about the total drawing scale or the scale of your individual views.

For drawing scale, right click and select "Sheet Properties" to adjust individual sheet scales. You may also select sheet size from this dialog box

For each view you have independent control. Right click or double click a view and you will see the view scale is automatically at sheet scale. You can select your preferred scale from the view properties dialog box.

Also when you right click on the sheet or select the wrench icon from the toolbar you can open "Drawing Properties" and this controls drawing and text standards and locking the sheet format.
  • Options
    DoglikeDoglike Member Posts: 10
    I'm finding the scale options very limiting. Or perhaps I'm not understanding how to use them. For my current document, if I use the default scale, 1:16 (sheet), each view of my 15mm x 25mm x 12mm part takes up more than a quarter of the page. The only other scale options appear to be in the range of 1:1 and 1:100, with no "(Sheet)". Applying any of these options from the dropdown menu makes my drawing microscopic. Surely there must be some in-between scales? Or the ability to custom scale? Also, what does the "(Sheet)" mean? 
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @Doglike - You have the ability to set the scale for the whole sheet in the sheet properties (right click on the sheet in the side bar to edit), but you can also override this setting for individual views (right click on a drawing view to edit). 

If you're adjusting the scale for a single view, the "(sheet)" note is just there to tell you what the standard scale for the entire sheet is. Also, if your title block has a "scale" note, the sheet scale is likely what will show up there. 

Also, if you keep scrolling, you should see scale options for 2:1, 3:1, 4:1.... etc. in your list. 
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    You can also just type in the scale you want. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    DoglikeDoglike Member Posts: 10
    Thanks everyone. @NeilCooke I've been unable to type in an arbitrary scale. The dropdown does not seem to accept numerical or text entry. 
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    edited June 2021
    @Doglike

Also, when you are inserting the first view of the part, if you set the scale before the first view is placed, that will become the sheet scale.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI