Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Laser-cutting procedure.

I wanted to confirm the steps followed to laser cut certain parts of our 3D model. This is my model: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c49211bcdccd031979ea9840/w/0e4e0b299b14c18c38854332/e/b3a1e88b469e1f82b9eabf3f. Now, I want to laser cut the walls of the blue base below. As you can see, there is a slanting portion too.

I know that we can export individual sketches as a .dxf file which can be then fed to the laser-cutting machine available to me. However, generally a sketch contains more than one shape. Like a square here, and a circle like 1 metre away from it. So on exporting a sketch, do both the shapes will be cut by the machine at the same distance or is there any option to select individual shapes to be cut?
Tagged:

Answers

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Onshape does not control what to cut, that's up to your laser software. Within Onshape you have option to create another sketch and replicate what you wan't to cut with 'use' command and then export that sketch to dxf.

Of course you can also edit dxf after export..

Hope this helps.
    //rami
  • justin_36justin_36 Member Posts: 23 EDU
    Additionally, you can right-click on a face and export as DXF/DWG (I can't do it on your Document since it is view only)

Let us know if you need further assistance. I've done a bit of workflow for going from Onshape design to laser cutting.