Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why is my sheet metal flat view reversed from my isometric view?

verne_seversonverne_severson Member Posts: 3 PRO
My sheet metal flat view is reversed from my isometric view.  The Axis Icon in the flat view is reversed from the Axis Icon in the drawing area of the Parts Studio.  And when I bring it in to a drawing it is reversed.  It looks like it would still bend properly if we are willing to put up with all bends shown as "Down".  My other projects show the flat view properly.  If I flip the flat view over, I lose the bend lines and bend notes.

Help needed.  Did I make a wrong setting somewhere??

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    You toolbox exercise shows Up direction.  That is based on a sketch on the Front Plane.  I have tried other new documents and it always picks Down - even if I try to duplicate your Took Box from scratch.  When I sketch on the Front Plane the extrusion causes the flat view to use Down.  I tried a sketch on the Right Plane and it made the flat view be up.

• Options

I found that I can affect making the flat view match the isometric view. The problem happens when using Extrusion to start a sheet metal project.

Solution: When viewing the sketch to make the Sheet Metal Model, it makes a difference on the order I select the edges to extrude: 
    Does Not Work:  Select left, bottom, and right. 
    Does work:     Select right, bottom, left. 

So I started the whole project over again, this time selecting the edging in the other order.  Now the flat view matches the isometric view.