Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

offsetting an entire shape at once?

paul_1paul_1 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
in today's "tips and tricks" webinar, darren (?) was able to do an offset for an entire outline at once somehow.  i thought it was by clicking a corner, or edge, and dragging, rather than click/releasing.  but i can't get that to work.  how is that done?

Best Answer

Answers

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I haven't looked that webinar but if you draw select area from right to left, Ons will select everything even partially inside. If you draw select from left to right, only figures completely inside will be selected.

Offset just needs figures to be selected.
    //rami
  • paul_1paul_1 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    he definitely used that technique at other points, but i didn't think he used it for the offsetting.  but maybe i just missed it.
  • paul_1paul_1 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    thanks jake -- yes, i see that that does work.  i figured out what it was i was trying before:  i had started a new sketch in order to separate the offset from the original shape.  in the new sketch, when i select an edge (from the shape drawn in the original sketch), dragging gives me an offset for just that single edge, and not the entire original shape.  doing a multiplie sequential selection of edges, and then offsetting, does work.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    This is very handy when creating offset, thanks for pointing / digging it out @pgf
    //rami