Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

boolean parts in assembly

can you boolean parts in assembly. trying to 3d print my part as one piece.  

Answers

• Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @christopher_williams787 ,You can not perform boolean operation in assembly.You can derive all parts into one part studio and you can boolean it.

• BouwyBouwy Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @Narayan_K How do you put or copy multiple parts in one part studio?

edit: Solved: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/derived.htm
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    @christopher_williams787,You can derive all parts into one part studio and you can boolean it as suggested by @Narayan_K . Kindly refer below video for more detail.
    @Bouwy, Kindly refer below video which will be helpful to you for copy parts from other part studio. You also use tranform operation to re position them.

• Cedric_LinCedric_Lin Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Hi, but how could I put the part I derived to exactly location I want? The part only stay at center and I can't move or rotate it?
  • Cedric_LinCedric_Lin Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Hi, but how could I put the part I derived to exactly location I want? The part can only stay at center and I can't move or rotate?
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    With the transform function....
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    If your intention is to boolean them as positioned in assembly then you can also create a new part studio in context, copy part(s) in place using transform and boolean. This will allow you to update from assembly when position as well as geometry changes.