Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Scaling an irregular drawing

mario_darceuilmario_darceuil Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
I have a drawing of a deer that I traced out in Onshape from a JPEG image. The image is irregular; head, legs, body, antlers etc. How do I scale this image up and put dimensions on it in proportion? Is this possible in Onshape? I.E I may want to make the body 2.5 ft long and have the rest of the drawing scale up in proportion. Can the scale in the transform tool do this? If so how, or how otherwise.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1ccfeff9abed70141ea77cd1/w/073c1864d259ca816552af25/e/50fee340bc1c47de3ebf9eb9

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    If there are no dimensions on a sketch, the first/only dimension will scale all sketch geometry for you.

Otherwise, you can use scale trasnforms. 

If you extrude first you can also scale the part using transform->scale as well
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited May 2018
    Edit, native feature makes this obsolete, DOH!

Yup, there's also a non-uniform scale featurescript that will work with @john_mcclary 's method of extruding to a part first and scale afterwards suggestion.

Cheers,

Owen S,
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @mario_darceuil

OS Transform now has a check box for 'Scale uniformly'  Just uncheck that and the X,Y,Z scale lines can be filled out how you need.   Kind of obsoletes the FS I think.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited May 2018

OS Transform now has a check box for 'Scale uniformly'  Just uncheck that and the X,Y,Z scale lines can be filled out how you need.   Kind of obsoletes the FS I think.
    Doh, thanks @bruce_williams :+1:

Cheers,

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd