Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Standard content component requests

Comments

• jharrell_simjharrell_sim Member Posts: 2 EDU
    If you bend an arm in Onshape, can it apply to every aspect of human life and tangibility?

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    Have not been able to find.

Carriage Bolts

Am I over looking them or are they not there?
    If not I'd like to see them added.
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    edited May 2018
    Here is a link to what I need for my current project.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I need some dowel pin and roll pins/spring pins. Not sure if there is a standard.

But really looking forward to improvements in naming with proper descriptions so I know what I am looking at without expanding the flyout BOM and also search improvement, ideally even a way to combine parts from common standards like DIN and ISO, McMaster ui does this nicely. It might sound crazy but I am still downloading and using McMaster parts with removed threads. Another thing I also find it extremely useful to have head markings to prevent errors by being visible on the model. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Metric Nyloc Nuts would be at the top of my list.  I'd have mentioned them earlier but thought they were already there.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Metric Nyloc Nuts would be at the top of my list.  I'd have mentioned them earlier but thought they were already there.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Sometimes they are there but just hard to find

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Sometimes they are there but just hard to find
    Yup, agreed, I like the improved search functionality for docs / PS / Assy / Parts so I have faith that something similar will be written for standard content.

At the risk of being controversial I'd also like to be able to insert SC into a PS.  (I often design the thickness of parts to allow standard fittings to not poke through, or to not only engage half a thread...  We can:-  Create a dummy assy > then ICE > then transform copy in place to achieve this but that takes a while and loses the part properties when it's transformed. 

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    At the risk of being controversial I'd also like to be able to insert SC into a PS.  (I often design the thickness of parts to allow standard fittings to not poke through, or to not only engage half a thread...  We can:-  Create a dummy assy > then ICE > then transform copy in place to achieve this but that takes a while and loses the part properties when it's transformed. 

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Have you tried @dave_cowden 's cap screw FS?  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2d7e0a6b68c2039da4221ebc/v/a1cff8bc4466bdc2decb87bb/e/5e782133bc1cce4548f24d2c
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for having this thread!

Two item's we'd love to see:
    Nylon-Insert Locknut
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#90631A411
    Thin Nylon-Insert Locknut
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#90633A411
    I am also after nylon locks an d find them in the list. https://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-locknuts/=1d2k21k 

Also when designing it is important to make sure nuts will not bottom out on threads and also to get shanks engaging in holes, some form of indication on the bolt to indicate this would help. You can see by the picture above I am flying blind atm.  With my macmaster imports, I  suppress the threads and un suppress briefly to check engagement. It would be super nice for an Onshape standard content to have a solution for this too.   
    Cone lock nuts to please DIN980. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGERpFtFuz4

No question, Standard Content is the way to add your nuts and bolts, but I still want to push for improvements to make absolutely killer. 

When inserting it would be nice to get a preview of the part in the location's selected which would help the user to choose the right size straight up and also be great if you could select auto-creating MC while the dialogue is open.   

Also, I'd like to be able to get further back up the list to change parts.  In this case below, I just inserted and mated up a setting screw in various locations only to realize there are other choices for the end but I can not select these.  grrrrrub screw it. 

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Have you tried @dave_cowden 's cap screw FS?  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2d7e0a6b68c2039da4221ebc/v/a1cff8bc4466bdc2decb87bb/e/5e782133bc1cce4548f24d2c
    Thanks Bruce, appreciate the suggestion.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • dan_manoimdan_manoim OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    Mainly I'd like to have Standoffs, PEMs and STUDS.
    And also Plastic thread inserts
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    JIS Fasteners.
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    To all watching this thread, this is being actively worked on. Expect more content in later coming releases!
    Support & QA
  • Hendrik_Hendrik_ Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    @Jason_S
    Always excited to see more standard content.  Coming from the architectural (as in buildings) space we’ve seen the power of content libraries being opened up for anyone to create & share or sell.  Of course anyone can make content publicly available in OS but there’s no curating.  So perhaps a sort of QC system from OS would be good(?). Particularly for niche items (clamps, sprockets, pins, extrusions, you name it), you guys will probably never be able to create it all.  I guess what might be curated is simply interoperability & proper parametric standards?  Perhaps mates as well?

I know that when we get a project which warrants it, buying the required (often niche) content is almost always the more efficient approach.

Duno, just kind of thinking out loud here of a kind of ecosystem that allows everyone to add to the repertoire.  

I’m only starting to get into Onshape so I might well be missing something that already exists (pray enlighten moi)?

... I think I mean a featurescript equivalent for content.
    @Hendrik_

I completely understand where you are coming from; I was a draftsman for a year in college. Having a project where a customer or contractor requires you to use a certain type of hardware for just this application means you need to source the content quickly. 

There are big things in store for standard content in the future that I think will make you happy.
    Support & QA
  • Hendrik_Hendrik_ Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    Jason_S said:
    @Hendrik_

There are big things in store for standard content in the future that I think will make you happy.
    Awesome.  Bring it on...
    edited June 2018
    @brucebartlett and others looking for metric nylon lock nuts, DIN 985 is withdrawn and has been replaced with DIN EN ISO 10511:2012, which seems to be identical to ISO 10511:2012, which Onshape already has under ISO->Nuts->Prevailing torque nuts.

Edit: forgot emagdalenaC2C already covered this :)
    Support & QA
  • robert_barnesrobert_barnes Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Hi, I would love to see:

Rivet Nuts (Or Rivnuts) In Metric, Not sure whether these would be better rendered as collapsed (after fitting) or before (as they come out the box) Steel.

Also, Rivets would be very handy (metric). Steel.

edited July 2018
    Hi all, 

The following bolts were just added to standard content:

Hex head bolt grade A&B DIN EN 24014
    Hex head bolt grade B DIN EN 24015
    Hex head bolt grade C DIN EN 24016
    Hex head screw grade A & B DIN EN 24017
    Hex head screw grade C DIN EN 24018
    Hex head screw grade A & B fine pitch DIN EN 28676
    Hex head bolt grade A & B fine pitch DIN EN 28765
    Hex head bolt grade C DIN 931-2
    Hex bolt structural short grade C DIN 6914
    Hex head structural bolt DIN 7990

Hex socket head cap screw DIN 7984
    Hex socket head countersunk screw grade C DIN 7991

Slotted set screw with flat point DIN EN 24766
    Slotted set screw with cone point DIN EN 27434
    Slotted set screw with dog point DIN EN 27435
    Slotted set screw with cup point DIN EN 27436

Hex socket set screw with flat point DIN 913
    Hex socket set screw with cone point DIN 914
    Hex socket set screw with dog point DIN 915
    Hex socket set screw with cup point DIN 916

PH Pan Head Screw DIN EN ISO 7045
    PZ Pan Head screw DIN EN ISO 7045
    PH Countersunk flat head screw DIN EN ISO 7046-1
    PZ Countersunk flat head screw DIN EN ISO 7046-1
    PH Raised countersunk head screw DIN EN ISO 7047
    PZ Raised countersunk head screw DIN EN ISO 7047

Slotted cheese head screw DIN EN ISO 1207
    Slotted pan head screw DIN EN ISO 1580
    Slotted raised countersunk head screw DIN EN ISO 2010
    Slotted countersunk flat head screw DIN EN ISO 2009

Thanks all for pointing us in the right direction and there definitely more in the queue. Keep them coming!

Jason
    Support & QA
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job!!!
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss the DIN 912 (Equivalent to ISO 4762)
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    Could we get dowel pins?  Relevant ANSI standard is ASME B18.8.2
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    I miss the DIN 912 (Equivalent to ISO 4762)
    I second this requirement!
  • Gib_JeffriesGib_Jeffries Member Posts: 5 PRO
    @Jason_S Thanks for working on this! I noticed that there is a part number and description field that applies company wide changes. Is there a manage all of these properties from a table style interface? What about permissions management for company wide properties?

Also, I noticed that custom properties can be added to the parts through the BOM interface, and these seem to apply company wide. Is this a valid way to add meta-data to standard parts?

• Gib_JeffriesGib_Jeffries Member Posts: 5 PRO
    One more thing I would like to see would be thread pitch.