Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Fundamentals 4, Exercise: Cantilever Clamp, Slide 8 -

gerald_comeaugerald_comeau Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
 How can I make the construction lines and rectangles equal to each other in the large arm and the small arm when they are in different sketches?

Best Answer

Answers

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited June 2018
    @gerald_comeau

If you click the "equals" tool, and then click the line in current (small arm) sketch, then click the line from the other (large arm) sketch it should work fine.  Our constraints are not limited to referencing geometry inside the current sketch.  Is this not the behavior you are seeing?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    I do not understand what lesson/slide you are on.

In general - you should be able to use the 'Use' command to connect sketch entities and then the Equal constraint. if the elements are in different position.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • gerald_comeaugerald_comeau Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Jake, No it is not what I am seeing when I click the equal tool and the line ie construction line. The geometry is rejected and I get a message when I check the sketch in features I get a message saying the task cannot be accomplished. 
    Bruce,   Here is more accurate information on the lesson and slide I'm in: I'm in Fundamentals 4: Multi-Part Studios;
    03. Using Multi-Part Studio/Exercise: Creating Multi-Parts in a Multi-Part Studio; Slide 8. 

Thanks for your suggestion on the 'Use' command. Perhaps I did not use it correctly.  I recall only one other instance in my lessons so far when I used that command with success. I'll try that again and let you know.

One more thing I noticed on the image in Slide 8: If you look at the rectangles, one in the Large Arm and the other in the Small Arm, you may notice in the Long arm that the construction of the rectangle follows the construction line of the Master Sketch while in the Short Arm the corner of the rectangle is off from the construction line of the Master Sketch.

I don't know if this has any relevance at all to my problem but one thing is obvious. The relative postions of the rectangles in Slide 8 shows the geometry is not uniform throughout the cantilever.

It appears to me the total length of long arm, 175 mm accounts for that difference? This dimension suggests that of the four consruction lines of the Cantilever in the Master Sketch, only 3 are equal in length. This is noticeable in the previous exercise - 02. Multi-Part Sketching Techniques/Creating a Master Sketch; Slide 2    
    Jake and Bruce, Thanks for your suggestions. I was more patient and methodical this morning and was able to get everything to match. I made sure to use the 'Use' command correctly and got the circles in the sketches, but by my observations is that the key is all in the geometry. The rectangles and lines when properly drawn and dimensioned become equal in both arms. I used the equal tool just as an experiment but it didn't work. Again the geometry could not be solved (everything shows up in red). My sketches look perfect so I am not worried about it.