Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Anyone knows a way to convert a model to IFC format?

Hi. Working towords a client in infrastructure/buildings. they need models converted to IFC format. Anyone knows a way to do this? 
Thnaks!

Answers

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Fredrik - i have been googling trying to find a solution for you.
    Alas - all the threads i found indicate that unless the source is a BIM system (and supports IFC out) then this is not possible.
    Another forum user might have a solution, but i regret that i am unable to find one.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Fredrik_HögströmFredrik_Högström Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Thanks for your effort!
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited June 2018
    @Fredrik_Högström AFAIK - IFC is models in SAT format (ACIS) with extra metadata. The metadata is all stored in subcategories though (e.g. HVAC > Heating > Piping > .... or something like that) which we can't do. If they just want to import the model, try SAT format. SolidWorks is able to export IFC and if I remember right, that is all that they are doing.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    @Fredrik_Högström AFAIK - IFC is models in SAT format (ACIS) with extra metadata. The metadata is all stored in subcategories though (e.g. HVAC > Heating > Piping > .... or something like that) which we can't do. If they just want to import the model, try SAT format. SolidWorks is able to export IFC and if I remember right, that is all that they are doing.

If IFC is ACIS, then why can't I import IFC into Onshape?;)
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Turns out it’s STEP in a metadata wrapper. Convert them using this: http://ifcopenshell.org/ifcconvert.html
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    Turns out it’s STEP in a metadata wrapper. Convert them using this: http://ifcopenshell.org/ifcconvert.html
    If it's just STEP in a metadata wrapper, can't we just strip off the metadata and import STEP? ..and same with exporting?
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG