Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to set the value of a slider mate?

john_P37john_P37 Member Posts: 25 PRO
I have a linear slide assembly with a slider mate. The slider mate can vary from (say) 10 to 30 mm.   I put this into a higher level assembly. I want to edit in context some other parts, but I want to position the slider at (say) an intermediate value of z=12 mm.   Can this be done?     I can animate between 12.00 and 12.001 mm, which is close enough, but as soon as I go out of the animation box the assembly reverts to the starting condition. 
   The workaround is I go back to the original base assembly and pin the slider mate to between 12.00 and 12.001 mm. This leaves it effectively in place, but positioned well enough for my assembly.    But it's cumbersome...
thanks, John
Tagged:

Best Answer

• mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Answer ✓
    Hi John,

You can set the value of your slider mate with the following steps:

1.) Open the mate feature dialog

2.) Double click the text displaying the current slider value in the graphics area

3.) Submit the value that you want in the dialog and hit enter (I chose -7)

4.) Hit the green check mark and your part will remain where you put it until something changes!

Hope that helps.

Best,

Mike

Answers

• mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Answer ✓
    Hi John,

You can set the value of your slider mate with the following steps:

1.) Open the mate feature dialog

2.) Double click the text displaying the current slider value in the graphics area

3.) Submit the value that you want in the dialog and hit enter (I chose -7)

4.) Hit the green check mark and your part will remain where you put it until something changes!

Hope that helps.

Best,

Mike
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    Or even quicker, just click the mate in the instance list (no need to open the mate dialog), then follow Mike's instructions above.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    @john_P37 - if you wanted 12mm to be the default position, edit one of the mate connectors associated with the mate (click the down arrow next to the mate in the instance list) and move it by 12mm in the Z direction. Now, whenever you want to set it to 12mm, you can right click the mate and select Reset.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    ...or use the "named position" tool if you have a few positions you want to be able to toggle through.

OwS
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd