Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Thickness analysis for plastic injection parts - Is there a feature or how to do in Onshape?

Hi,
I am need to decide on a CAD system to do injection moulding parts.So far Onshape will cover most of my needs but one thing is missing and is mandatory to me.
I need a possibility so evaluate the wall thicknesses on the part. This is extreme important to design a working plastic part.
To my knowledge there at least two option to do: 1. simply vector measurement from one wall to the other or 2. flying ball method. The second is much more accurate and would be preferred.

My questions:
- Is there such a feature included?
-- If yes: Please tell me how to use it.
-- If no: What are the plans and rough time frame to implement such feature?

Thank you in advance.
All questions are welcome

Jens

Best Answers

• jens_sommerfeldtjens_sommerfeldt Member Posts: 4
    Answer ✓
    Dear All,
    thank you for your fast answers..

To you comments (in chronological order):
    @ Jake_Rosenfeld
    Well the answer is no. :) I was aware of this normal measurement, alas what I need is the analysis tool as brucebartlett described above. 

@ bradley_sauln
    I am designing plastic injection parts. As I am also responsible for the tooling and production success I need to analyse the my own design as well as client designs for possible flaws that will result in structural or visual errors at the moulded part.
    With onshape I spend a day, but I am an experienced user of Catia and Solidworks.
    What is your idea?

@ brucebartlett
    You are right, this is what I am looking for (I had tested the draft analysis before I send my question)
    So it is a question of the community request and then some development and implementation time, isn't it?
    Please do not hesitate to ask me for beta test...

Thank you again
    Jens

Answers

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @jens_sommerfeldt ,

If you click on two faces, a "Min. Distance" measurement will appear in the bottom right corner.  If you hover over this measurement, it will show you a representative vector:

Is this what you are looking for?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Hey @jens_sommerfeldt how much time have you spent in Onshape so far? Are you performing the injection molds or are you working with a manufacturer? Depending on which end of the DFM process you are on I can help point you to the appropriate answer.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• jens_sommerfeldtjens_sommerfeldt Member Posts: 4
    Answer ✓
    Dear All,
    thank you for your fast answers..

To you comments (in chronological order):
    @ Jake_Rosenfeld
    Well the answer is no. :) I was aware of this normal measurement, alas what I need is the analysis tool as brucebartlett described above. 

@ bradley_sauln
    I am designing plastic injection parts. As I am also responsible for the tooling and production success I need to analyse the my own design as well as client designs for possible flaws that will result in structural or visual errors at the moulded part.
    With onshape I spend a day, but I am an experienced user of Catia and Solidworks.
    What is your idea?

@ brucebartlett
    You are right, this is what I am looking for (I had tested the draft analysis before I send my question)
    So it is a question of the community request and then some development and implementation time, isn't it?
    Please do not hesitate to ask me for beta test...

Thank you again
    Jens

• autotivMFGautotivMFG Member, Developers Posts: 2 PRO
    @brucebartlett

Wall thickness analysis will improve workflow for our manufacturing company significantly. We are currently having to download .stp files as STL and then analyzing wall thickness using magics.

Is this a feature being worked on currently?

Thanks!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @autotivMFG it's been there a long time now, maybe almost 1 year.  You access it from the appearance drop down under the view cube
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @brucebartlett, unfortunately draft analysis =/= wall thickness analysis. OS still doesn't have this. Maybe someone has finagled a FS hack for this, but I'm not aware of one.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    mahir said:
    @brucebartlett, unfortunately draft analysis =/= wall thickness analysis. OS still doesn't have this. Maybe someone has finagled a FS hack for this, but I'm not aware of one.
    Whoops, Mahir you a totally right, I must be still half asleep.  Thickness is very much needed as well.

Sorry @autotivMFG for misleading you.  As a pro user, you should give feedback under the ? menu top right.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    I would also like to be added to a "thickness analysis" improvement request.
  • Mazie_HouchensMazie_Houchens Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Hello! I'm currently starting work on making my company's parts injection mold-able and was wondering if this feature had been added yet?