Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape BOM

brian_pinder662brian_pinder662 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
I would like to use the Onshape BOM in the assembly of the helical stair I am drawing, however the part number and description columns do not appear to be working. Thought at first in could be that I am using Safari as the browser so tried Chrome instead but still did not work. Although the balloon fly out in drawings works fine in Chrome but not in safari. Can anyone suggest what the problem may be. I can understand the part no col as I don't actually have part numbers, but do have descriptions.
any help would be appreciated thank you.  Brian.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Have you set the balloon property in the dialog to show description?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brian_pinder662brian_pinder662 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Yes, this this works ok as regards dialog in in Chrome, but will not set in safari. However its the assembly BOM that does not show details in the description column. If these were shown I am sure it would work in chrome if not in safari.
    Thanks for your reply Brian.
    Can you send a screenshot or link to your document? 

BTW if you are seeing differences between browsers, please report it. Thanks. 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1ac8b7a7ef3f5ab5fd9e36ba/w/25c6d985e52a5e282f7cd05b/e/1a327c421544d3fa018055e4 
    above url of assembly. Re differences between browsers, reported this some time ago and was under impression it had been addressed.
    Many thanks Brian.
    Works fine for me. You only have a description for item 31. If your balloon is showing "---" that means no value has been assigned in the assembly. If you are not seeing the same can you check that your browsers are up to date? Thanks.

Hi Niel, the value you see  I entered Manualy into the Columns in the BOM. they did not appear when initially opening BOM. admitted they work if they are there but the description column otherwise is completely blank and does not reflect any instances in the assembly list. Whilst some of the parts in the assembly list are only noted as part 1, 2, ect there are many that do have named descriptions which I thought would have shown in the BOM description Column.
    No problem with browsers both both up to date.
    Sorry to be a problem, but could you take another look please. Brian.
    Yes you have to add a description manually. Are you trying to show the part name? In the assembly bom go to the menu in the top right corner and add part name as a field. 
    Neil, just had a look at the webinar of simultaneous BOM by Cody, and this shows description automatically added to BOM. this why I cannot understand why in my case this does not work. All the parts in my assembly list have a description ie tread, landing plate ect. Obviously I am missing something somewhere. Can you see the problem.  Brian.
    Hi Brian, the name you set in the parts list is the part name, not description. Right click on a part and select properties to see this:

However, you can show the name in your BOM instead of description:

Hope that helps!
    Many thanks Neil, problem solved. first class assistance.
    All best wishes, have a good day. Brian.