Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Variables system improvement

Nir_KNir_K Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hi,
I've been using Onshape as my main CAD system for a bit over a year now because of it's great benefits and easy accessibility. But I have a major problem with Onshape's variables system.
Here is a list of improvements that I think can be useful to Onshape users (sorted from most needed to least needed):
  1. Make variables creation and editing accessible within a sketch mode.
  2. Make all variables automatically go to the top of the timeline or even make a dedicated panel for variables (like the parts and curves panels).
  3. Add an option of global variables (the user could mark a variable as global like the visibility of sketches and plains) and global variables could be used throughout the whole project.
  4. Add an option of having a short description for a variable so it could have a short name but still be meaningful (e.g. have a variable called 'thk' and the description will be 'the thickness of..').
  5. Add an auto complete for variable names when entering them into a dimension 
  6. Get rid of the # start of a variable... (it is by far the least impotant change but it is still a bit annoying).

In the picture you can see the 'Variables section' (marked in red), in it you can see all the variables in the document (and global variables). Near every variable you can see a globe icon. When not crossed out a corresponding variable is a global variable that can be used throughout the whole project. You can also see the familiar add variable '(x)' (marked in blue) used to add variables even in sketch mode. By hovering with the mouse on a variable the user could see the description of that variable. The description of a variable is a way to have a short but meaningful name for a variable. 
thank you for reading.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Nir_K . All of these are already in the voting list with some exception.  I have placed links to vote for the ones you are asking for below:

Make variables creation and editing accessible within a sketch mode. (vote here)
    Make all variables automatically go to the top of the timeline or even make a dedicated panel for variables (like the parts and curves panels). - This one we are not doing as placement in the tree is part of the design.. there might be some options later but today configuration variables can act this way. (Not a defect from the design)
    Add an option of global variables (the user could mark a variable as global like the visibility of sketches and plains) and global variables could be used throughout the whole project. (vote here)
    Add an option of having a short description for a variable so it could have a short name but still be meaningful (e.g. have a variable called 'thk' and the description will be 'the thickness of..'). (vote here)
    Add an auto complete for variable names when entering them into a dimension  (vote here)
    Get rid of the # start of a variable... (it is by far the least impotant change but it is still a bit annoying). - This is a requirement today with FeatureScript so we will have to keep it but once . you have autocomplete.. it might be easy to pick it since the # could start the search for autocomplete.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    lougallo said:
    @Nir_K . All of these are already in the voting list with some exception.  I have placed links to vote for the ones you are asking for below:

Make variables creation and editing accessible within a sketch mode. (vote here)

Vote where on the first one?  The link is missing.
  • Options
    mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    @michael3424 You can find that improvement request here.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    @mthiesmeyer - thanks!