Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Moving Sketch Plane or Moving Entities Within

robert_melascagliarobert_melascaglia Member Posts: 42 EDU
Hello all

I created a arbitrary sketch-plane parallel to the front-view and placed entities within it.  I now realize was more efficient to create all the entities on the front-view, and extrude from the planes center line "left and right' for their various dimensions, and get the proper offsets with regard to each other.

Question-1.  Can I move an arbitrarily created "plane" which is already parallel to the front-view to be coincidental to the front-view?

Question-2.  If I cannot move the plane itself; can I move the entities to the sketch containing the "front-view" without breaking the constraints?

thanks,
Robert
Tagged:

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @robert_melascaglia

1) I assume you used an offset plane to create that plane?  You can edit the plane feature and just change the offset to 0 instead of whatever value you've used

2) Edit the sketch, click on the "sketch plane" box in the feature dialog and just change the plane from your custom plane to the front plane.  All the constraints should travel.

I would suggest doing 2 and just deleting the feature that creates your custom plane.  In general, things like this in parametric CAD are easier to fix by going back and editing the existing features rather than adding more features to move things around to correct the mistake.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • robert_melascagliarobert_melascaglia Member Posts: 42 EDU
    Thank you Jake - most helpful and solved the situation; all constraints still valid. :)