Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cant Awaken for Dimension or Convert Faces on Cylindrical sides?

OakOak Member Posts: 1
So when I try to make a sketch and use a cylindrical face's top or bottom relative to sketch plane to dimension off of I cant awaken it as a line nor can I use convert entities to make it into a line. This is killing my design intent as I have to dimension off of weird points I put on a while back into my design. 

Am I doing something weird, or is this not a feature? Is there a work around or a better way to do this?

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    @Oak (and anyone else). If you would like to be added to a list of people who would be notified when we have this and, more importantly, have your particular needs included in our thinking, then please submit a Support issue and we can add you in.
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Paul Chastell Roger willco

(I'm actually wondering whether, in cases where, say, Solidworks would routinely report "Unable to identify edge for silhouette", OnS might be able to seek some user input, and thereby provide a quicker, easier way to achieve the desired result - I'll think about that some more before raising a ticket)
  • paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    This is the sort of stuff I'm interested in hearing about. Silhouettes can be tricky blighters when being used as persistent model references. If there are cases where its hard for (existing) systems to work out what is meant but it seems obvious to a human then getting details of those will help as we look at our own algorithms.
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK Paul, I (and hopefully fellow sufferers) will dredge the banks of memory for common characteristics.
  • andyandy Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    This is one of the first things I noticed was missing in OS when I posted this thread here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/346/first-model-whats-great-and-what-i-missed#latest

OS needs to implement a tool to create a curve of the intersection of a face and the sketch plane.