Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Copying an assembly into a new document to create a customised version.

APDAPD Member Posts: 40 PRO
Hi All,

Apologies in advance for the length of this "question"! It's giving me a headache just re-reading it!

I want to create a customised version (Assy2) of an existing assembly (Assy1) but in a separate document.  I'm going to jump straight in with a detailed example..

I created a new document (Let's call it "Doc2") and in the assembly tab "Assy2" I inserted a linked assembly "Assy1" - from an external library document  which I'll call "Doc1". 

I want to create a customised version of Assy1 called Assy2 within Doc2 and without affecting Doc1 or Assy1.  What is the best workflow here?  

For this project Assy1 has, let's say 10 parts, only one of which is native to Doc1 (I'll call it Part1 in PartStudio1) . The rest are linked standard parts in other library documents.  For the new customised assembly (Assy2) the only change will be to Part1. So want to create a custom version of Part1 (renamed to Part2 within Doc2).  Doc1 has many other assemblies (Assy1, Assy1a, Assy1b...etc...) which I don't want to affect.

I tried the following workflow:
A. Go to Assy 1 in Doc1
B. Duplicate Assy1 renaming to Assy2
C. Move Assy2 to Doc2...
But when I attempt to move Assy2, it wants to move Part1 out of Doc1.  I don't want that; Part 1 needs to stay in Doc1. 

The only way I can see of doing this is:
1. In Doc1, duplicate PS1 containing Part1,  remaming PS2 and Part2 respectively.
2. Duplicate Assy1 renaming Assy2
3. In Assy2, insert Part 2 in same position as Part 1. (Is there a "replace part with another part" in assemblies?)
4. In Assy2, Delete Part 1.
5. In Assy2, fix Part 2 and Group with the linked parts (yes, Part1 was the "base" part in Assy1.  It was fixed and all the other parts were mated to it.)
6. In Assy2, delete all the now broken mates.
Now I have what I want. Assy2 with Part2+linked libray parts.
7. I can then Move Assy2 to Doc2, which will take PS2 with it.

In Doc1 there is a drawing of Part1 (Prt1-drw) .  It would be great to change it's link from Part 1 to Part 2 and move that drawing into Doc2 also.

In Solidworks, I would have used Pack&Go on Assy1, renaming to Assy2, breaking the link to Part1 by renaming to Part2  but keeping the links with the other library parts.
Within the same Pack&Go dialogue, I would also have copied the drawing of Part1 (Prt1-drw)  from Assy1 renaming and linking them to new Part2.

Come to think of it, I would use Pack&Go all the time in Solidworks and it was a MASSIVE time saver.  An equivalent function in Onshape would be Awesome!

Is there an equivalent workflow within Onshape?

Thanks in advance for any advice here,

Alexei

Best Answer

Answers

• APDAPD Member Posts: 40 PRO
    Hmm, the step 7 of the above workflow didn't work!  When I tried " Move to Document", it said " and illegal argument was provided, please check your request"

Step 7 works if you open the BOM panel. A little bug there I guess.
    @mbartlett21
    I can right click on the Assy1 tab in Doc1 and select "copy to clipboard"  But when I switch to Doc2 I can't find an option to paste.
    Can you give me a little more detail?
    Would that create a new copy of the PS1 &Part1, separate from Doc1?
    @mbartlett21
    Ah, in Doc 2, insert new element: Paste Tab?
    I'll try this...
    @mbartlett21

Yes that works perfectly! Just what I needed! I creates a new copy of the part studio for editing!

Thanks, such a simple solution!

I wonder if I can bring the drawing in too in the same way?