Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mirroring an Assembly

Can we mirror an assembly?  If not, we need this function ASAP.  We have 4 engineers (4 licenses) using Onshape and we need this function.

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    The short answer is not yet though I'm sure the is an IR to vote on.

The longer answer is we can mimic this pretty easily.  Start an in-context edit, mirror the parts, squirt back to the assembly.  Downside is this creates new parts, not instances of existing parts, so If you're driving a BOM then this needs to be accounted for.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I'd derive parts into a partstudio called mirror, mirror them, then import them into an assembly. Of course you could always mirror the parts in the original partstudio.

If I'm creating geometry, which I believe mirror does, I relegate these operations to a partstudio. Partstudios make parts, assemblies do not.

To me assemblies have a small army of partstudios that support them. I'm branching out partstudios following Philip's recommendations in his OS for SW users video which is really good. OS is different.

I'm also using a lot of sub-assemblies to also feed a top level assembly.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't see the urgency for having mirror in assembly. I like the fact that assemblies don't generate parts. 

• Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    billy2 said:
    I like the fact that assemblies don't generate parts. 

I'm not asking for assemblies to generate a new part. A lot of the mirroring we need to do is just using the part in another instance.
  • shashank_rajesh032shashank_rajesh032 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2020
  • shashank_rajesh032shashank_rajesh032 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2020