Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Best Practice for Handling Multiples of Similar Variations of Parts?

JoeORourkeJoeORourke Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Hey all,

I'm a hobbyist and an occasional user of OnShape coming from SketchUp. I would like to design something which has a lot of individual parts, most of which are the same but just vary in size. Specifically, I would like to design a rack to hold my combination wrenches with each wrench having it's own individual "nut". So I'd have a 9mm, 10mm, 11mm, etc. nut. Since the amount of nuts can quickly add up between metric and SAE, I'm wondering the best approach to create these individual parts to be put into the assembly. My initial approach is to have a part studio for each size, but this brings up the issue I described. I also tried using Transform and Linear functions to create multiple parts in the same Part Studio, but this seems to link all those individual parts together, i.e., changing the size of one part changes all of them. I do realize that there may be multiple approaches to do this, possibly using the same approach of Transform/Linear, perhaps I missed/forgot something from the Tutorials? I do remember from the tutorials that having a Part Studio for each part is not a best practice approach, so bear with me for this example. I remember Part Studio should essentially be each individual, unique part of the overall design and Assembly is where multiples of the same part should be inserted.

Document Link

Thanks,
Joe

Answers

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Sounds like a job for configurations.

Here is our self paced course on basic configurations: https://learn.onshape.com/courses/introduction-to-part-configurations
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    This would be a good use case for configurations. You can start to learn more by taking a look at our learning pathway for it: https://learn.onshape.com/learn/learning-path/onshape-configurations
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    We're putting partstudio concepts in a folder, then driving each concept  with configurations. Before changing a configuration, we branch the  concept partstudio allowing us to keep many workspaces showing permutation of each concept.

So we end up with: many concepts & many variations within each concept.

Working well for us. It's manageable and archival-able.

I believe this could work for you also,