Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Regarding part studio

D8_StarpacD8_Starpac Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
I have created multiple part in a part studio. Is there any option to split them into multiple part studio with features used for that part.

In filter option available in part studio can show the features used for a specific part. So that my question can be solve on this way. 

Best Answers

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    @D8_Starpac

The short answer to your question is just that we haven't implemented that functionality yet; voting on the improvement request that Don has supplied will help us prioritize the work.

The long answer to your question is that it's very non-trivial to do something like this.  While it is possible now to filter down the features that affect a part, extracting this part into a different studio is not as simple as just ripping out those features into a different studio.  What if other parts in the source studio depend on those features?  What if there is other geometry in the original part studio that the part in question references?  When it is moved into its part studio, do those reference parts come too?  There are lots of considerations here before we release a piece of functionality like this.

If the goal is just to represent each final part in its own part studio, you could use the Dervied feature:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/derived.htm
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi all,

If we assume we've duplicated a partstudio then it would be great if we could invert that part filter selection and then delete that new inverted selection. We'd then have a new ps with just the features required to generate the part we filtered for.

Sure it would still exist in the original ps so it's not a real move, but I think there might be value there.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    @owen_sparks

Imagine that you have a layout sketch and then an extrude, and the extrude creates two bodies, and then you edit those bodies separately in the same PS.  If you then take the inversion of the selection of the features affecting the part the you care about and suppress them, you will be still left with the initial extrusion of the part you don't care about.  The dependencies are not very easy to tease apart without a lot of under-the-hood processing.

Answers

• KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    You can filter for features that affect a specific part by typing ":part PART NAME" in the filter bar.
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    edited September 2018

@D8_Starpac - Please vote for this Improvement Request; you look like you would like to do what I ran into with regard to "Splitting up Parts by their respective features into new Part Studio's"

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10004/extract-parts-and-its-features-to-a-new-document#latest

and since @KatieHuffman brought it up, which is a good suggestion to better see the tree "Part per it's Features", vote for this IR too.  ;)  We're not all coders so the need to type syntax to remember this bothers me; and it's cumbersome.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/44268#Comment_44268

• D8_StarpacD8_Starpac Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    You can filter for features that affect a specific part by typing ":part PART NAME" in the filter bar.
    I know this already and also I specify in the question.

My question is if it is possible to filter for feature that affect a specific part. Why not splitting of multiple part studio is not available.
    Answer ✓
    @D8_Starpac

The short answer to your question is just that we haven't implemented that functionality yet; voting on the improvement request that Don has supplied will help us prioritize the work.

The long answer to your question is that it's very non-trivial to do something like this.  While it is possible now to filter down the features that affect a part, extracting this part into a different studio is not as simple as just ripping out those features into a different studio.  What if other parts in the source studio depend on those features?  What if there is other geometry in the original part studio that the part in question references?  When it is moved into its part studio, do those reference parts come too?  There are lots of considerations here before we release a piece of functionality like this.

If the goal is just to represent each final part in its own part studio, you could use the Dervied feature:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/derived.htm
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi all,

If we assume we've duplicated a partstudio then it would be great if we could invert that part filter selection and then delete that new inverted selection. We'd then have a new ps with just the features required to generate the part we filtered for.

Sure it would still exist in the original ps so it's not a real move, but I think there might be value there.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Answer ✓
    @owen_sparks

Imagine that you have a layout sketch and then an extrude, and the extrude creates two bodies, and then you edit those bodies separately in the same PS.  If you then take the inversion of the selection of the features affecting the part the you care about and suppress them, you will be still left with the initial extrusion of the part you don't care about.  The dependencies are not very easy to tease apart without a lot of under-the-hood processing.
    edited September 2018
    Hi Jake, thanks for the reply.

@owen_sparks

Understood; in fact @Don_Van_Zile and I were were having a discussion of the difficulty of separating out parts in an IR recently.
    The suggestion here is not for a full on part separator function but a far simpler tool that would get us some of the way there.  As the user I'd be quite happy to accept that there will be some tidying up to do in this method.  There would be no comeback on Onshape staff as you've not produced a "part mover" just a filter in the feature tree.  The consequences of us using it are on our heads. :)
    That's not to say I don't want a "move part and references to new PS" function.  That'd be great in the long term, but I appreciate how how big an ask that is and there are many things I'd rather see prioritized ahead of it.
    Cheers 'n' all,
    Owen S
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    I'm reinforcing @owen_sparks comments!  :)
    Kind of you B)@Don_Van_Zile
    HWM-Water Ltd