Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can the OnS View-Cube be Repositioned / Controlled?

daryntaylordaryntaylor OS Professional Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited April 2015 in Community Support
After uploading a step file into OnS, I realised that the model wasn't positioned correctly, is there a way to reorient the model to a preferred view, say the front or top, then reposition/ recalibrate the view-cube to reflect this new view?
I'm aware that something along these lines can be done in Inventor, which I have found to be very useful at times.
Also, whilst on the subject, are there any plans to add all iso views to the corners of the cube?, not just the front as it is now.  

Best Answers

Answers

• onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Mostly unrelated: I wish the view cube would rotate the model if you clickdragged on it. :)
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @onshaper: It seems to me your suggestion simply uses the cube as a proxy for the model, which does not seem a huge advantage?

For more specific control, how would it be if, when we click and hold on one of the arrows surrounding the cube, the cube would rotate (purely) in that direction, for as long as the button was held down (a click on the same buttons would, as at present, rotate 45 degrees in the same direction).

That would give us a way of slewing a model on the floor, keeping the verticals vertical. Among other useful capabilities.
  • onshaperonshaper Member, Mentor Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    @Andrew_Troup consider the case where you are using Onshape on a Macbook with the trackpad. :)

The way I describe is how Autodesk Fusion works, and it works very well!

You could easily have a little dragging handle for repositioning the cube, too.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1 for @Andrew_Troup 's idea locking movement to certain axis. Another solution could be simply pressing x, y or z to lock direction while turning model with RMB. Needs some extra fingers with trackpads though, but if it would work also with arrow keys it should be decent workaround.
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    The more I use Onshape, the more it seems to me that the default behaviour should be for the left and right arrows to cause rotation about an axis which is vertical with respect to the model *as it is currently displayed*.

At present, if you invoke "isometric", then left or right arrow, the model tilts sharply away from the vertical, as well as spinning. This behaviour is really unhelpful, even to me who is well used to it from two decades with Solidworks.

And if / when this is addressed, it seems to me that a horizontal mouse-drag should also be revised, so it continues to behave the same as left and right arrows.

(@3dCad's latest suggestion is ingenious, but unfortunately two of those shortcut keys are already spoken for, and z for zoom is particularly entrenched.)