Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Surface Text

dannyidannyi Member Posts: 43
I'm making a tire and have text on the front side wall. I generated another plane for the back side wall. Copied the text sketch to the new plane but can't get the text to reverse so it reads properly. Tried mirror function and transform but still will not reverse the lettering. 

Comments

• andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    If you have used the Sketch Text command in the sketch you can flip the text in the dialog. This should give you the orientation that you need.

Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    Also check out this featurescript, It will help wrap your text around the tire

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cfec40e2b66bb4ddb2f3414b/w/24132f252a02825eb0606641/e/7af1344ab1e54af102d0f4b9

• dannyidannyi Member Posts: 43
    andy-morris....where would I find Sketch Text?
    john-mcclary...I used surface text for the front of the tire, just can't get it to invert for the back of the tire.
    Here is a screen shot of my tire......
    ..this is the back of the tire and the dropdown menu that I get with surface text.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    Would mirror faces work?
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    You could ask @dave_cowden if he could add that to the feature.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    @dannyi
    yes mirror text would be a nice enhancement to add, but a work around would be to define a difference face with the Z direction opposite of the one you are using now
    Would it be possible to get a "play by play for this? I tried everything I know of to do and just can't get it done.
    here's what I have so far....
    I can mirror the sketch but the lettering will not follow...

• mark_princemark_prince Member Posts: 3
    I've just used this for the first time - it's a great solution to a problem I've got. Thanks John.
  • bagr_bagrovicbagr_bagrovic Member Posts: 1
    thx john:)
  • jonathan_privejonathan_prive Member Posts: 1
    edited March 31
    I'm a bit of a noob in onshape, but I can not create a surface text with mirrored letters. I added the Surface text feature and created the text. But how can i Mirror the text? And I would like to have a extra space after the text. The space is deleted automaticly. "abc - abc - abc - " and then round and mirrored.