Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Hiding parts in drawing....!!!!

VaishVaish Member Posts: 15 PRO
So, I have a part studio with configurations. In one configuration of which I want to create a 2D drawing. In this configuration, one extrude feature is suppressed, which results in one part of the part studio being hidden. Now I created an assembly with this configuration(in which one part is hidden) and it looks exactly how I want. I want to create a 2D drawing of this assembly configuration. When I make a drawing with this assembly, the hidden part shows up which I don't want(Obviously!!!). How do I prevent this part from showing up in the drawing...
PLS help. Thanks  

Best Answers

Answers

• D8_StarpacD8_Starpac Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Vaish said:
    So, I have a part studio with configurations. In one configuration of which I want to create a 2D drawing. In this configuration, one extrude feature is suppressed, which results in one part of the part studio being hidden. Now I created an assembly with this configuration(in which one part is hidden) and it looks exactly how I want. I want to create a 2D drawing of this assembly configuration. When I make a drawing with this assembly, the hidden part shows up which I don't want(Obviously!!!). How do I prevent this part from showing up in the drawing...
    PLS help. Thanks  
    If you hide the part means it just disable its presence. If you suppress the means it disable the functionality of the part. Try suppress option in assembly.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    It's a resource hungry bodge but what happens if you allow the extrude but instead configure a delete part function?  Does that get rid of it in the drawing?

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • VaishVaish Member Posts: 15 PRO
    edited October 2018
    Thank you for all the comments. I did figure out that I wasn't inserting the correct configuration in my drawing..!! Nevertheless, this only works when configurations are assigned.. If there is a way not to show hidden parts in drawings, it would make life with Onshape 2D drawings so much easier. Suppression would work, but if the part being suppressed is being referenced with some other part which we would want to use, it causes all kinds of complications.. I feel like this is a useful feature, which would avoid so many tabs in one document. And when I was looking, people have been requesting this way back from 2015. I find 2D drawings to be the most frustrating thing in Onshape(I come from Solidworks), I cant sketch whatever shape I want to show some notes or symbols., I can't play with colors for better representation to manufacturing. Arrows and text dont snap to each other, And the overall performance seems so slow.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @Vaish We are working on a way to let drawing views access different visibility states of the assembly, without needing to either duplicate an assembly and suppress OR use suppression and configurations.  This is preferred especially when considering the use case of BOM and configurations and the need to match item numbers across multiple drawing views.  We do know the pain with creating a drawing to show exactly what you want without any extra hurdles, and we hope what we deliver will keep you moving efficiently for your needs.  
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    PeteYodis said:
    @Vaish We are working on a way to let drawing views access different visibility states of the assembly, without needing to either duplicate an assembly and suppress OR use suppression and configurations.  This is preferred especially when considering the use case of BOM and configurations and the need to match item numbers across multiple drawing views.  We do know the pain with creating a drawing to show exactly what you want without any extra hurdles, and we hope what we deliver will keep you moving efficiently for your needs.  
    This is very good to hear. Drawings are not going away any time soon in many industries. I shudder to think of trying to build a machine using a computer screen or tablet instead of a solid, standards-based drawing package.