Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

how to fix (ground) assembly

eric_zhao867eric_zhao867 Member Posts: 5 PRO
For a part that is in an assembly, i can right click and fix its location. It seems I could not find similar function for an assembly. For example, I inserted assembly 1 into assembly 2. I would like to fix the position of assembly 1 in order to used it as a datum. What is the best way to do this? 

Comments

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    You can right-click on a part from assembly 1 and fix it. As long as that subassembly is properly constrained you are good to go

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    You can only fix parts, so expand your subassembly and fix one of the parts in there. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • eric_zhao867eric_zhao867 Member Posts: 5 PRO
    thank you all, that helps. 
  • andrew_kleinertandrew_kleinert Member Posts: 47 PRO
    A question about this:

Instead of using "fix" for assemblies, are there any issues with mating the first part to the origin, and then building up the assembly using mates?  (Is this potentially a better workflow because the Assembly is then positioned at a known point in space rather than an arbitrary point in space as per the "fix" operation?)
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @andrew_kleinert
    Yes best practice is to use mates to properly constrain parts rather than a fix. Mating to the origin is a good way of locking down parts.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.