Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Better Wait Cursor Visibility

Many problems I've had with OnShape can be traced to the some process taking a long time but I didn't know because the animated wait cursor was hidden among the details of a complicated model.  The wait cursor is normally a fairly faint blue animation at the bottom center of the view.  Especially against a model with blue parts it's really hard to see.  However it's really important to know that the model is not ready because things work differently when it's not. 

For example this morning the OnShape developers had rebuilt all models overnight and cached information needed to be recomputed.  All of a sudden I found that derived parts were coming in greyed and unusable.  I spent a long time trying to get it to work and it seemed to be a bug.  Presumably there was a wait cursor but I didn't see it.

The not-ready state needs to be always clearly visible.  It's very important information to know.

I suggest one of the following:

- Have the wait cursor be attached and move next to the mouse pointer so it's always where the user is looking and is moving over backgrounds where it will contrast.
- Or, have it as a small rectangular flag (maybe red?) that appears, say in the upper right corner of the workspace.
- Or, make it larger (maybe user selectable?) and make it a color (maybe use selectable?) that is not so likely to be used in a model.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    christopher_graham586christopher_graham586 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Here is a screen shot of the wait cursor.  It's not visible enough even against grey.  If it happens to be against a blue component it's  totally invisible.

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Psst, vote for your own IR ;)

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited November 2018
    :+1:
    Maybe with a white background?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited November 2018
    @christopher_graham586 Thanks for the feedback. We have many UI improvements internally for user feedback on the system in the works.  I have moved this to product feedback as votes on this will not be necessary.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.