Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can't Scale Entity Without Scaling Entire Sketch?

CatseyeguyCatseyeguy Member Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in Using Onshape
Hi,
So I'm trying to create a create a sketch with cutouts, but I'm having an issue.  When I try to dimension an entity in the same sketch as the object, the entire contents of that sketch are scaled proportionally.  This happens regardless of any visible constraints.  The problem does not persist if another sketch is created in the document, but if the original object  is copy-pasted into the new sketch, it happens in that sketch too.  Can anyone help?

Here's a link to the document: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1b0465216ff26c96b5edcd62/w/edea98239ba78fba47c91381/e/6803bcf223fd2cf0b11a43d8
Tagged:

Comments

• mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    Hi Catseyeguy,

Sorry, I don't think i'm quite understanding your issue.

If there is only one driving dimension in a sketch, when you change its value the sketch will automatically scale proportionally (as you noted). If you place a second driving dimension in your sketch, before editing the value of the first one, the auto scale behavior should not occur when you edit dimension values.

However, this is true for the first dimension in any sketch, regardless of how many sketches are in your document.

Did that help? If not, could you please clarify?

Best,

Mike
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    If you don't want it to scale, just accept the dimension value then edit it afterwards.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • CatseyeguyCatseyeguy Member Posts: 4
    Hi Catseyeguy,

Sorry, I don't think i'm quite understanding your issue.

If there is only one driving dimension in a sketch, when you change its value the sketch will automatically scale proportionally (as you noted). If you place a second driving dimension in your sketch, before editing the value of the first one, the auto scale behavior should not occur when you edit dimension values.

However, this is true for the first dimension in any sketch, regardless of how many sketches are in your document.

Did that help? If not, could you please clarify?

Best,

Mike
    NeilCooke said:
    If you don't want it to scale, just accept the dimension value then edit it afterwards.
    Hi, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, and I should have been more clear.  If I create an object, for example a rectangle, in the same sketch as the original object, but completely separate from it, if I add a dimension to the independent object, the rest of the sketch is also scaled proportionally.  The problem now also seems to be occurring on new sketches.

Here's a video demonstrating the issue:
    https://youtu.be/HKR4VcHbyXc
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    edited August 2018
    A conic rho dimension is automatically generated and not seen as a “first dimension added”. Scaling the entire sketch by first value entered is correct behaviour. 

Therefore if you don’t want it to scale just accept the system generated value on the dimension you added then edit the value afterwards. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    A conic rho dimension is automatically generated and not seen as a “first dimension added”. Scaling the entire sketch by first value entered is correct behaviour. 

Therefore if you don’t want it to scale just accept the system generated value on the dimension you added then edit the value afterwards. 
    Then am I to assume that there is a way via a dimension to scale a whole sketch?
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    NeilCooke said:

Then am I to assume that there is a way via a dimension to scale a whole sketch?
    Nevermind... I tried it, and it works!  Woo-Hoo!!!