Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

BOM won't update....

edward_andersonedward_anderson Member Posts: 4 PRO
I've put a lot of detail in the 'Properties" table of my parts but they do not show up in the assembly  BOM or on a drawing BOM.  Is there workaround for this?  

Comments

• Options
    Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    I've had this happen when I'm editing properties in the BOM for parts or assemblies that are contained in other documents. In those cases you have to navigate to the part document you are attempting to edit and update the properties there, then create a new version. After that you will have to update the links to those parts and the properties in the BOM should update. If this is what the problem is then I'm not sure what to tell you.
  • Options
    mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    @edward_anderson Are you able to share a link to your document? It is difficult to diagnose an issue like this from the information you have provided. All metadata edits should automatically be reflected everywhere a part/element is used.

@Cris_Bowers That does not sound correct. If you change the metadata of a versioned part from the Simultaneous BOM, those changes should automatically be propagated everywhere that includes that specific version of that part. Is that not the behavior that you are seeing?
  • Options
    Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    @edward_anderson Are you able to share a link to your document? It is difficult to diagnose an issue like this from the information you have provided. All metadata edits should automatically be reflected everywhere a part/element is used.

@Cris_Bowers That does not sound correct. If you change the metadata of a versioned part from the Simultaneous BOM, those changes should automatically be propagated everywhere that includes that specific version of that part. Is that not the behavior that you are seeing?
    After posting my comment I created an assembly of a bunch of my standard library parts to be sure I was correct in remembering what I had experienced. It turns out it worked fine when I tried changing the data in the BOM this time. But I know I have experienced the properties not updating before, and the process I posted is what I have done to get it to work. So I'm not sure what causes it when it has happened to me. If I experience the issue for myself again, I will be sure to contact support.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    You can add columns to the BOM for extra properties other than Part No. & Description, would this help?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977