Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Closed kinematic chains with revolute joints

ralph_stirlingralph_stirling Member Posts: 7 EDU
Is it possible to make closed kinematic chains with bars and revolute joints, and have them stay connected while adjusting joint angles?  I've been playing with a five-bar planar manipulator model, and not achieving success.  I'm quite new to OnShape, so may be building my assembly incorrectly. 

My play model is at: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/953be8731a3021a4fde4e2bf/w/b266e1e6c74cca763dd277a0/e/7bbe4b301279a0e277061bad

Thanks,
-- Ralph

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Hi @ralph_stirling - your doc is shared as a link and can't be copied/edited - please make it public. Try fixing the orange base (right-click / fix) so that the whole thing doesn't move around.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • ralph_stirlingralph_stirling Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Thanks Neil.  I've shared it and fixed the base.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    You can't add a revolute mate to attach the last two links because it introduces tolerance errors (this is a system limitation and not anything to do with what you are trying to do). Use a cylindrical mate instead.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI