Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Project to Surface

Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
I've used the search function in the hope of finding an answer, but without any luck. So, can I project a 2-D sketch onto an underlying (curved) surface to provide a 3-D 'path'?

I'm trying to project sketch 5 in this open document onto the curved surface of Part 1 ( https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ef2e97eee4cf47578ba6a15d/w/d3c8a9e635194cf19de53fae )

And, if we can, when are we going to get a 'path' mate to go with the others? Please!

Stuart

Best Answer

Answers

• Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    Nico,

Thanks - will have to hope this is on the OS wish list, and somewhere near the top (along with 'Path Mate' !

Stuart
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    There are a number of workarounds, though. The only ones which spring immediately to mind are powerful, rather than pretty ...

One possibility:  use same sketches which created the "curved surface" you refer to in your post to make dummy target solid. Now extrude your "2-D sketch" as a surface, use that surface to split the dummy solid, use resulting edges as 3D curves, hide dummy solid (I said it wasn't pretty) ...

• Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    There are a number of workarounds, though. The only ones which spring immediately to mind are powerful, rather than pretty ...

One possibility:  use same sketches which created the "curved surface" you refer to in your post to make dummy target solid. Now extrude your "2-D sketch" as a surface, use that surface to split the dummy solid, use resulting edges as 3D curves, hide dummy solid (I said it wasn't pretty) ...

Andrew,

.......it's five o'clock on a Friday afternoon here....I think my head just exploded halfway through your workaround. That'll be something for me to try on Monday!

Thanks

Stuart
    edited May 2015
    Stuart

That's nothing, it's 0400 Saturday morning here (don't ask!)

I shared a model I was looking at for Raino, I hacked it to do a quick proof of concept (not as ugly in practice as my description made it sound)

it's called "Loft testing - Raino" and the tab which demonstrates the workaround is called "Project Sketch to Solid" The last two features constitute the workaround.
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @stuart_tod I was testing a little bit more not sure if it's the same method proposed by @andrew_troup as I did not have to split the part. I basically drew a cylinder, then in an offset plane I drew the curve I wanted to project, I used surface Extrusion Up to Next and in the intersection of both it creates the projected curve, in the intersection plane of the curve and the plane I drew the sketch to sweep (Used the pierced constraint). Below the sequence of images, hope it helps.

Nico
    1.png 189.8K
    2.png 319.9K
    3.png 232.1K
    4.png 221.4K
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
    I can't think of a single thing about my method I like as much as everything about @nav's
  • zachary_widbinzachary_widbin Member Posts: 1 EDU
    @nav, I lose you on the last two pictures. Would you mind sharing that document? Thanks.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @zachary_widbin, in pic 2 @nav created a circular profile sketch on a plane normal to the curve on the cylinder. In pic 3 he generated a swept solid using that circular profile and curved path. In pic 4 he deletes the construction surface.
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭

Andrew,

.......it's five o'clock on a Friday afternoon here....I think my head just exploded halfway through your workaround. That'll be something for me to try on Monday!

Thanks

Stuart
    really funny that I'm reading this five o'clock on a friday afternoon (UTC+1), three years later;)

Anyways, projecting a spline onto a surface; has that gotten anywhere?
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyways, projecting a spline onto a surface; has that gotten anywhere?
    which type of projection you need? along direction, to the closest point, from a pole point, from a pole line?
  • tim_brotherhoodtim_brotherhood Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Any news on this being added to Onshape?