Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Other than color, how can I tell that a sketch is fully defined?

steve_cohensteve_cohen Member Posts: 27 EDU
Sometimes in a large sketch, there is a small entity that is not constrained.  It can be a rogue point, or two endpoints that don't quite coincide.  Without going over every sketch element zoomed in close, I can't tell if there is a small bit of blue amidst the black.

In SolidWorks, there is a "Fully Constrained" message so I know I did everything right and don't have to check for unconstrained elements.  Is there some similar diagnostic in Onshape?

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    There is not. However, it is good practice to keep sketches as simple as possible - this makes your models more robust and resilient to change and makes your sketches easier to troubleshoot should something go wrong.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi folks.

In the past we've asked for the sketch name in the feature tree to be blue for "unconstrained" sketches, black for "fully constrained" and red for "in-error".  That would fix this problem once and for all :)

Should you care to add your vote the IR is here:-

Cheers, Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd