Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Compare imported parts

david_scott949david_scott949 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
Hi, 
I have two versions of the same part in STEP format.  I've imported them but obviously they are in separate part studios.   Is there a way to compare the two parts ? 

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    edited September 2018
    Yes! Use the Derived feature to add the other version to your current part studio. 

For an even better comparison you can do this:

1. Use the Delete Part feature to remove the first version of the part from the part studio 
    2. Use the Derived feature to add the next version of the part to the current part studio
    3. Use the Compare tool (in the versions and history flyout) to get a graphical comparison of the two document timestamps 

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • david_scott949david_scott949 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Cool.  Where's the Derived feature?  Never used that before. 
  • david_scott949david_scott949 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    ignore that... found it   :)
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    Yes! Use the Derived feature to add the other version to your current part studio. 

For an even better comparison you can do this:

1. Use the Delete Part feature to remove the first version of the part from the part studio 
    2. Use the Derived feature to add the next version of the part to the current part studio
    3. Use the Compare tool (in the versions and history flyout) to get a graphical comparison of the two document timestamps 

@NeilCooke is there a way to compare multiple imported or derived parts within the same document. Say I have imported or derived solid parts created elsewhere (on a different system) and want/need to remodel them in Onshape so they have a complete feature tree. Is there an easy way to compare the finished parts that were created using Onshape to the original dumb solids? Your above response leads me to believe you were talking about a document with a single part in a single part studio being used by a single person. What I'm wondering is if it can be done easily (that's the key word) for a document with multiple parts, multiple part studios, possibly assemblies, and multiple persons working on the document. If there is not a tool yet, is this something that can be created with a feature script?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @brian_brady I'm not sure if the number of parts/part studios/users makes a difference. Assemblies cannot use the compare tool, unless you do some in-context hack. Whenever I have remodelled something, I have just had the original as an import feature and just hidden it when I need to - you can then use the compare method I mention above. FS may well be limited as a solution. I get the feeling I am missing something here?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited November 2018
    @brian_brady This sounds a lot like automated grading of a student's work.  Compare each submitted doc to your master answer doc and generate a list of differences in one hit. :)
    OwS
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    NeilCooke said:
    @brian_brady I'm not sure if the number of parts/part studios/users makes a difference. Assemblies cannot use the compare tool, unless you do some in-context hack. Whenever I have remodelled something, I have just had the original as an import feature and just hidden it when I need to - you can then use the compare method I mention above. FS may well be limited as a solution. I get the feeling I am missing something here?
    You mentioned comparing points in the history timeline. I was just wondering if there are a lot of parts, part studios, and assemblies is this still feasible to do. I did a quick check with a single part and I don't think the current compare feature is what I want or need. I would like to know that the designer (or student) made the new part exactly like the dumb solid; i.e. if a boolean subtract was done there would be nothing left. I have had graduates doing this kind of work at various companies early in their careers; where they have to create new models that exactly match old or supplier provided dumb solids from other systems. It would be nice if there was an easy way to verify that features were not missed and there was an exact match.
    @brian_brady This sounds a lot like automated grading of a student's work.  Compare each submitted doc to your master answer doc and generate a list of differences in one hit. :)
    OwS
    Wouldn't that be nice. ;-)
  • dean_brettledean_brettle Member Posts: 10 EDU
    I realize this is a really old thread, but since I came across it while searching for a solution before implementing my own, I thought I'd follow up. I recently created a custom Compare feature that can be used to compare parts, including imported parts. If there are differences, it will create composite part(s) containing them. Among other things, this can be used to help grade student work or to allow them to self-assess.

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Another way to easily tell if a part or assembly is correct is employed by the Onshape training and certification materials.

Use the location of the Center of Mass or the Mass of a part or assembly. If the materials and geometry are precisely correct, the COM or Mass will be correct. It could be the first thing that you check...if that is correct, then you move on to the more labour-intensive grading levels...