Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Custom Feature - Arrows

2»

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited November 2018
    Looks like it on your image, but change it to .25 revolutions, maybe it has something to do with <1

The first time i switched turns it made the arrow straight and vertical, but after going back into the model and editing again it is flipping differently than what your animation shows. Mine is mirroring about the top plane, rather than the front or right plane.

The link is shared with support only, It is a confidential design so the boss would shoot me if I made it public :) 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @john_mcclary did you share it with support specifically for me? I do not have access to support for security reasons so I would have to ask Lou to look at it. Let me try a few things.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Oh, I don't know your email to share directly, if you want to send me a message with it I'll share it with you.
    @john_mcclary this looks OK to me? Is it the "Rotate" or "Arrowhead" that you need to change to make it work?

You can share it with ncooke@onshape.com
    In the video you can see, after I flip the rotation, it is still going from the bottom right corner of the screen to the top left. But it appears to be a little steeper also
    I created a second arrow feature to test that.
    here you can see it is giving me a vertical arrow again, but you can see it is curving it along it's length

There must be something unique to that geometry that is causing the issue. I’ll have to dig in a bit deeper. As a workaround for now you can create a sketch circle to drive the arrow. 
    Thanks for looking at :)
    I knew I wasn't crazy  ;)
    Can you give me link doc permissions so I can test it in a private doc?
    edited November 2018
    @john_mcclary - thanks for sharing that with me. Fixed the issue with your geometry and also another big bug that I had not found previously. I've updated the arrow in the doc you shared with me so you can see it working. You can unshare me from that now if you wish.
    In V3 I've added two new things:
    1. Option to define helical arrow by height or angle.
    2. Option to offset straight arrow away from the axis (just for you @brian_brady)
    Please update your docs/toolbar!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Groovy, thanks Neil.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Thanks @NeilCooke
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited November 2018
    Great Job Neil, I'll add it to my bar too. However my FS bar is sooooooooo long now I find it really hard to find any of the FS's especially when lots also have the same initials. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    @john_mcclary - thanks for sharing that with me. Fixed the issue with your geometry and also another big bug that I had not found previously. I've updated the arrow in the doc you shared with me so you can see it working. You can unshare me from that now if you wish.
    In V3 I've added two new things:
    1. Option to define helical arrow by height or angle.
    2. Option to offset straight arrow away from the axis (just for you @brian_brady)
    Please update your docs/toolbar!
    Danke schön
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to have the arrow feature script run in the assembly tab for exploded views.

The work around I did was create the arrows in the part studio and then insert them in the assembly for exploded view purposes.

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• chandran_palanisamychandran_palanisamy Member Posts: 5
    NeilCooke said:
    @brian_brady the above image is from a drawing. They are 3D arrows so they must be created in the assembly first then added to a drawing.
    Great. Thanks. 
    @NeilCooke, Can these arrows be created in an Assembly? 
    NeilCooke said:
    @brian_brady the above image is from a drawing. They are 3D arrows so they must be created in the assembly first then added to a drawing.
    Great. Thanks. 
    @NeilCooke, Can these arrows be created in an Assembly? 
    No, because it uses FeatureScript which is Part Studio only. However, you can create a part "in-context" (see icons top right in Assembly Studio) then create the arrows relative to the assembly parts then insert the arrows as surfaces into the assembly (if that makes sense).
  • aaron_rhodesaaron_rhodes Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Brilliant!  I'll use this frequently.