Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet Metal with a laser cut though a vertex / bend

AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
Trying to put a laser cut on a flat right where a bend will be.
We need this relief to not stretch the edges of the cut-out.  After it is formed we will weld it closed.
Here is what it looks like the WRONG way, just for illustration purpose.  I'm trying to do this on the flat but Onshape does not seem to let me do it unless its from edge to edge and that not acceptable.
It will be a 0.015 laser pass to cut though it.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    The best way would be to just draw a thin rectangle and cut that making the laser do a little more work, that's what I regularly do as 3d modelers don't handle a single slit line. If a single line is absolutely required you will have to add it to the dxf after export or make a special sketch with the outside profile and slit and export that, as you can not get it on the solid model. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    On further investigation, you can include visible sketches from your flat pattern when exporting, this may be the best solution to get the single slit line. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    Looks good, thats what I'm trying to do. I see you able to draw a shape on the flat and extrude it on your first reply. 
    That was my original thought but I keep getting an error, it will not let me. 
    I select the surface, create a sketch, draw the rectangle and extrude. :-( 

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @AuroraRon
    Please file a support issue - this is likely to be specific to your geometry, we'll have to investigate it.
    This was fixed by staff at Onshape. Looks like some features  or updates are not applied to everyone the same.  Not sure I understand this but it was corrected and now works like it should. Thanks for the support.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @AuroraRon

I was not the one who fixed this for you, but I suspect that what happened is that your Part Studio was "held back".  This means that during our upgrade process from one version to the next, our automated system identified that using the newest code would change your geometry in some way, and decided to keep your Part Studio using the old code instead of the new code.  This is great for making sure your geometry doesn't change, but means that your Part Studio does not have all the latest bug fixes.  So, when you submit a support ticket, we can identify that it was held back, try manually upgrading to the latest version, while making sure that any geometry change that occurs is very slight and insignificant.

Hope this helps explain what happened in a little more detail!  Feel free to ask any question!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Better to not break things, I agree. Great point Jack thanks! 
    Is there a way to tell? 
    This a project I've been working on for a year and been pulling my hair out on some things that I see done in instructions and webinars that don't seem to respond the way they should or how I think they should. 
    Could have saved hours if not days! 

I hate change, get off my lawn!  LOL 
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @AuroraRon

There's not a great way to tell from the user side, and cases like this should be pretty rare, but they do happen.  Don't be afraid to have an itchy trigger finger on the "Contact Support" button! Especially if something seems off, and especially especially if you find yourself pulling your hair out! Were are here to help and happy to help :)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team