Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Curve Pattern 2 Featurescript

@jon_sorrells

I am having an issue where I want to pattern a plane normal to a curve along that curve. I then do a check where I  select a patterned plane and create a point on it and the curve and then create a plane normal to the curve. I am seeing that the patterned curve plane and plane normal to curve are not lining up and are at an angle when they should be parallel.

Comments

• Options
    Avram_RosenfeldAvram_Rosenfeld Member Posts: 5 PRO
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Avram_Rosenfeld

Are you trying to use Jos' curve pattern feature?  We have a built-in curve pattern feature now:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/curvepattern.htm

It would help if you were to post the link to your document as described in this post:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist

Or if this is proprietary data, you could use the "Contact Support" button in the "?" menu.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Even when I do the same for OnShape's Curve Pattern feature, I get the same error. I have contacted support. 

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    @Avram_Rosenfeld, as Jake mentioned, a link to your document would help everyone help you. Right now I have no way of knowing whether the FS generated plane and the manually created plane are actually using the same point along the curve for their origin. Is the manual point just coincident with the curve or actually pierced by it? If there is any offset between their origins, then yes, I would expect there to be some angle between the planes.
  • Options
    @Jake_Rosenfeld Looks like you have  gotten into my model and are playing with the curve pattern feature? Let me know if you have an update. Thank you for looking at this.

Rosenfeld's unite!

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Avram_Rosenfeld

:smile:

I wrote curve pattern (credit also goes to @jon_sorrells), so your support ticket made its way to me after our support organization categorized it as a real bug.  Once I have something concrete to tell you, we will reply on the ticket!
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    @Jake_Rosenfeld

Thanks for making "curve pattern altered." Any chance you can add in a "Distance between instances" option? I use that to get the spacing I desire.

Thanks,
    Avram

x.jpg 5.9K
  • Options
    @Avram_Rosenfeld

I just took a stab at it with @jon_sorrells.  The "Distance between instances" option is a feature of his curve pattern custom feature (which was a precursor to the built-in feature, but is no longer actively supported or tested by us).  Unfortunately, we did not make fantastic progress, but I may take another look if I get the time.

All that being said, please create an Improvement request if you would like to see us implement "Distance between instances" as a part of the built-in curve pattern feature.