Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Callout a part's configuration

AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
Need to callout a parts configuration in a drawing.

Using callouts is great but if you can't tell what it is in a drawing you have to create different versions needlessly 

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @AuroraRon Are you wanting a callout to simply show the details about the configuration that is referenced?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • David_BoneDavid_Bone Member Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    The name of the part can be controlled by the configuration options which should then be reflected in the BOM item referenced by the callout.
    Wouldn't this work?
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @David_Bone
    You're right. Once you have Configurations created, you can pick the Configured part properties section of the Configuration panel. Select the part in the dropdown, and then add properties to be changed in the configuration:

If you configure the part name (and you can also configure Part Number, colour, etc) then you can use that in a callout on the drawing.

Currently though, drawings can only handle Custom Properties from 1 configuration of a part per sheet....so you can use this for drawings for each part, but it doesn't work yet for showing two configurations of the part on the same sheet.  I'm sure the team is working on it!
  • AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    Frustrating seeing things identified as issues that go over a year before being addressed.  Its a love hate thing ;-)
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @AuroraRon I am still not sure what you are after.  Just the config name that is used?  Others here have shown some ways to do this but I am confused as to what the specific thing you want..  What if the configuration does not have a name?  Since you can have multiple config sections, names are actually identified as an encoded string made up of all the selections.  However if you did have something that you wanted to type in as a text string to identify them, you can use the config property approach for sure.
    Assemblies shown in drawings have parts made from smaller assemblies. Trying to show in a call-out what part is being shown in the drawing. 

Here is the situation I am speaking of:

There is no name so in cases like this, the configuration is represented as a selection of options.  If you want to name that then you would need to use a property in the configuration properties.  Seems relatively straight forward with a list type, but in these cases it is not.
    So I have a configured part property "name" for the configurations and in a drawing I need to show what configuration it being shown.

I can't call out the "name" of it so when I change the drawing to another configuration anyone can tell what it is.
    How is anyone to identify in a drawing what it is? 

Hope this better explains it.  Also tired using a BOM thinking maybe it would show a configuration but it does not.

edited December 2018
    @AuroraRon You can always add whatever column you want and populate it in the config properties area which should be able to add it to the BOM.  It will get further complex when there are assembly configs. I would be happy to look at a specific example if you want to send in a ticket to support to my attention.