Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

"non driving" dimension as variable?

Hello

Could you help me to understand how I can use a "non driving" dimension as a variable?

I have a square and a variable which defines this square by the length of its diagonal.
Now I need to use the length of the square's side as a variable for the next operation (say extrude).

Is it possible to do it in onShape?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• alexander_potochkinalexander_potochkin Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I can certainly calculate the square's side from the diagonal.
    But is there a general way to take a dimension and use it as a source of another dimension?

Thanks
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I tried this also and don't believe that it is possible, this would be a very good improvement request.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2015
    No it's not possible to do a measure with the variable tool. 
    I put in a request a few days ago when I was trying to do this for the tetrahedron challenge. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I have also put in this request, but I did it with the feedback tool so it's not open for voting.. 

Workaround would be creating enough parameters to be able to calculate equation for the driven dimension you need.
    //rami
  • thomas_kozakthomas_kozak Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    This would be an incredibly useful feature.  For a simple example as given above, it's all right to fudge it by inputting an expression using a known variable, but for more complex relationships that's not practical.
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    This is very interesting scenario and can be very much helpful. But I am not sure how practically it would possible. Because whenever square is fully constrained by its sides and equal constrain, diagonal dimension will be driven by side dimensions since it will act as extra dimension than what it is required to get the sketch fully constrain.
    I used Creo and Inventor but have not seen the possibility where we are able to change the driven dimension manually. But it can be good enhancement comparing to other CAD platforms if Onshape could make it possible.
    I am only asking about converting a square's side to a read-only variable which is dependent on the existing variable representing the diagonal size.
    This should not be a problem, should it?
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am only asking about converting a square's side to a read-only variable which is dependent on the existing variable representing the diagonal size.
    It shouldn't be, but it seems it is currently not possible. You can currently define such a variable using trig, but not solve it using a sketch. I expect this will be addressed.
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Yes I agree. To convert square side dimension to read only dimension we can select the dimension, right mouse button and select "change to driven dimension".
    But after changing the diagonal the result will not be a square which has all sides equal to each other. It will be a rectangle with two opposite equal sides. We can put the length of rectangle side (driving dimension) as variable in extrude also.
    See the below video. I hope this could be one of your requirements.

• jrs_spedleyjrs_spedley Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    I know it is an old post but I've search and can't find it.  Has this been implemented yet?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Kyler_WalkerKyler_Walker Member Posts: 183 PRO
    The ability to use dimensions to define variables would be very helpful.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    I've come across use cases for this a number of times. I feel allowing "calculated" dimensions from a sketch to become used as variables to drive other parameters or dimensions could be a great time-saver in many situations.