Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can the precision for angularity red reduced when using mate connectors?

Reece_IsaacReece_Isaac Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
I know my question title doesn't explain at all so I shall try to expand.
I have been having great trouble with an assembly trying to connect several parts that involves 3 revolute and 1 cylindrical mate connectors. Which invariably fail.  I have tried different types and combinations of mate connectors and came to a conclusion that something wasn't inline.  Today I replaced a fasten mate with a planer mate (with some limitations on some axis) and lo and behold the assembly doesn't fail and can be manipulated.  To try and see why this worked I picked two parts to see what the measurement was.  These should be parallel.  It seems that they are at and angle of 0.004 degrees!  This is a ridiculous degree of accuracy to cause a mate to fail. I have attached two screens of the problem, the top image is with the Planer connector the bottom with the fasten connector.  Note the the revolute connectors fail with the part fastened and the misalignment is 0.004deg. 

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Hi @Reece_Isaac can you share the doc? Mates are very accurate and the best rule of thumb I can offer is to try and not let the mates fight each other (for example a closed loop of revolutes may fail but changing one to a cylindrical will usually let it solve). I can take a look and possibly offer a better solution than planar. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Reece_IsaacReece_Isaac Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    No worries Neal it's been shared to you.  What permissions do you need for it?  The mechanism involves three bearing points and a screw jack.  The axis of the bearings should all be parallel and the screw should be perpendicular to them.  I have at other times on other models experienced  the same type of angularity of models that have been designed to have parallel faces.   I have tried various types of mates including ball to get this to work.  It was only today that I managed to get any idea where the error was that caused the failures.  I thought the whole idea of animating to so checks on clearances and range of movement would work OK. Although working out where the root error is is not so easy.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I've had a bunch of similar vendor CAD.  Either there are a lot of sloppy engineers out there or many companies are deliberately mildly sabotaging their parts before releasing the files to customers!
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Thanks Neil, I discovered the blue part issue after starting query.  I thought I had sorted something similar some time ago.  How did you determine so quickly what part was faulty?  The part was generated in another document that I trashed because it had become unwieldy.  The other document hadn't deleted from trash yet so I'll try and sort it out.  Thanks. 
    I don't understand how I managed to make the part untrue. Oh well, live and learn.