Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extruding .DWG with lots of segments

evin_drewsevin_drews Member Posts: 1
Hi guys! I'm trying to extrude a graphic for a large 3d print but running into some issues. The extrusion seems to fail with curved segmentation (900 segments) merged to a square extrusion. Usually simplifying the design without curves helps but that brings it to a whopping ~3500 segments and regeneration problems.

Wondering if anyone has any advice. I figure last resort I can just trace over the design with splines. Would blender be better suited for something like this? The dwg with curves is attached.

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Hi @evin_drews
    that dwg in your image looks like some sort of landscape curves.. Sketcher is meant for closed shapes that form the shape of part and can then be extruded to third dimension, like from square to cubic or from round to cylinder..

I'm not familiar enough with blender to say if it's better for this or not (only tried once years ago) but if you define your goal better, maybe we can help you out to achieve it using Onshape.
    //rami
  • Options
    Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    When I imported the dwg, there were a couple of sections that were red. What I have found is if you explode those spline groups in AutoCAD they will actually come in properly. I tested this out myself and it worked.