Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is it possible to create a mesh from a serie of points?

Hi there,

I'm very new to CAD so that might be something trivial.

I've got a bunch of vectors representing coordinates.

The whole creates a shape in 3D.

From all of those points, I'd like to be able to create a 3D object by entering the maximum of coordinates I've got and get the object out of that.

You can think as the serie of points I've got as forming a cube to make things simple (it's close enough to the form I'm trying to build). I have 10k points to represent it but no idea how to build a 3D object from that.

Thanks a lot for any help or guidance.

Answers

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    yes you can.

In the early days of OS I was reading in .obj and creating points:

Notice that I refined density at the midplane.

I went on to create my own polygon mesh:

Then OS allowed meshes and I stopped trying to create a mesh:

So you work with points, vectors or any other primitive. You'll want to look into feature script. Otherwise, write your data in an .obj format and bring it in as a mesh.