Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Making 3 radial holes in a cylinder

hansrudolfhansrudolf Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
Hi all,
I could have worded my question in many different ways, but I think that above is the easiest to understand.
I have drawn a simple cylindrical form,and want to place 3 radial holes with 120 deg. angular distances around that cylinder.What I could do was making a new plane, parallel to the top plane and with offset = radius of my cylinder. On this I could place the first of my 3 holes, all ok until now. But I found no way I could define the two other planes, which are parallel to nothing. I tried to add a triangular extension to the cylinder, so I had 3 faces on which I could define new planes, and could draw the other holes. But when I delete the triangular extrusion, the holes disappear also...
I'm sure for such an easy problem there must also be an easy solution?
Thankful for any help,
Hansrudolf

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.

I'd make one hole and then use the circular pattern tool to add the 2nd and 3rd instances.

Hope that helps,
    Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Well I tried that too, but I cannot select the first hole as 'Entity to pattern'.  'Part 1', which is the whole cylinder, is always selected automatically. And the unasked question remains: how do I specify planes in arbitrary positions. The help menu shows several different plane generating methods, but I have no idea how to use them.
    Anyway, thanks for your help.
  • Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Have you changed the option in circular pattern dialog box that defaults to 'part pattern' to 'feature pattern or face pattern'?
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7287b4e86e87c88d8064de6d/w/ec4fe057bbe02f84a273eb55/e/02c1174a849117e2eed21937
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited March 2019
    @hansrudolf

You need to switch to "face pattern" instead of "part pattern", then the internal faces will be selectable.

I definitely think that patterning is the correct workflow for this case (if you really want the planes instead of just patterning the holes, you could feature pattern the first Plane feature itself to get those planes).  But I understand the desire to know how to create these arbitrary planes manually.

This documentation has a description (with image) of what each of the plane types does:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/cplane.htm

For this case I would use a "line angle" plane.

First, make a sketch of the point you want on the top of the cylinder, and make a line at that point tangent to the circular cap:

Then, once you have all the tangent lines set up, you can use "line angle" plane to make the planes you desire.  First, change the type to line angle.  Next, select the line in question.  Then, notice that at the top of the screen, the program asks for an additional selection to act as a reference.  In response to that, select the top plane of the cylinder.  Finally, set the angle to 90 degrees.  Repeat for each line you have sketched.

Here is the example doc:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ad2cb985cde5d9c74d995174/w/a35aa6256629c1224c1f50f8/e/056336850d997aecd30ba926
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,381
    Or another way:

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Thanks @NeilCooke ,  that's a lot simpler :)
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,381
    @hansrudolf @owen_sparks - placing radial holes is much easier with implicit Mate Connectors!

Or if you prefer, place one hole and use Circular Pattern.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    WHAT???? How long has that been there?
    Thanks Neil. Also it's the weekend, you're allowed to forget about us for a few hours!
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    @owen_sparks

It's been there for maaaaaybe two hours?  But it was a big secret until 20 minutes ago!
  • Options
    @owen_sparks

It's been there for maaaaaybe two hours?  But it was a big secret until 20 minutes ago!
    😀😀😀😀
    You guys 🎸🎸 🎸
    Owen.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Well I can only say thanks a lot to all of you! It is almost unbelievable how fast and competent one gets answers for any problem. And sometimes even answers which - as it seems - are new even for the experts!
    I will spend some time to digest all that and try it myself. Yes, my problem is solved by using the feature pattern.
    Many thanks, and a nice weekend for all!
    Hansrudolf
  • Options
    Sure thing, it's like that here.
    Owen.
    HWM-Water Ltd