Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Android Sections, hatching etc. out of order

AQVAcaldaAQVAcalda Member Posts: 8 PRO
Android app is suffering of functionality issues for “Section view” feature. 
Personally this feature is fundamental requirement for my work, and unfortunately I cannot design without this option activated. (I can’t figure out how people can work without this feature!!!!!).
Some time ago, the feature was active in android app, despite the hatching of sectioned surface was not working (not rendered); moreover the red-hatching for clashes was not working as well. I was told that the issue was due to rendering performances with my device, but this issue was verified onto three different devices (Samsung, Huawei and Acer) that in my opinion makes inconsistent the root case they identified.
Nowadays the option “Section view” is not available at all in all my devices. The result is that OnShape become useless to me for designing on-the-go (that is always).

Comments

• Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    edited March 2019
    AQVAcalda , The issue arises because the device does not support certain graphics features that we rely on. These features are required to ensure the section view is rendered with good performance and is accurate.

In these cases, the section view would end up looking like the shell command with the sectioned part open, instead of hatched. This was confusing / undesirable to many users. To avoid this confusion, we first check the device capabilities, if it does not support the required capability for section views, we do not display the section view option.

Based on our testing and user reports, we have found this to be an issue with certain devices that have the Mali GPU. Can you share the GPU specs of the devices you are using?

If you are interested we can share information on devices that do support the section view on Android.

• AQVAcaldaAQVAcalda Member Posts: 8 PRO
    Dear Paul,

I had the chance to verify the GPU:
    On Samsung I have  "Render: Mali-T628" and on the Huawei  "Render: Mali-T880".

I understand there are on the market devices that supports you rendering strategies, but it sounds a little bit annoying to relpace all my devices because of non-supportin what I believe a common GPU (or -at least- not so uncommon).

Do you plan to never support these GPU? 
    Thanks, 
    Alessandro

• Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    Hi Alessandro,

Sorry for the less than desirable experience you are having. We do our best to support as many devices as possible. We do develop and test on a wide range of devices. While the devices in question do support the OpenGL ES specification we use for rendering, the implementation and support for functionality can vary between vendors. In this case, we will need to figure out alternative ways to implement the functionality for these devices.

This issue is on our radar. As with all other feature requests and user submitted bugs, we also look at the number of users that are being impacted to prioritize the fixes.

Paul