Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Section View in Assembly

paul_passarellipaul_passarelli Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I noticed that the Section View state in the assembly has no master planes Front, Top, Right to grab.

I have an assembly that consists of several truncated cones without a vertical face anywhere to be found.

Has anyone else noticed this? Found a workaround?  The Part Studios don't seem to carry their planes into the assy, only their Origins.

Best Answers

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    edited February 2017 Answer ✓
    With the section view you can start on any flat face and then use the section view manipulator to 'drag' and 'snap' the section origin to any mate connector point in the assembly. More details on how to use the section view can be found in our help documentation: https://cad.onshape.com/help/#moving.htm?Highlight=section
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    .@paul_passarelli, You can use mate connector as reference plane which will be created on origin. Kindly refer below video for more detail.

Specific to your issue:- You can create mate connector at same plane position which you used for section cuts in a part studio. This mate connector automatically reflect in assembly studio. Now you can select mate connector as a section plane and you can get desired section. Kindly refer below video

Answers

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    edited February 2017 Answer ✓
    With the section view you can start on any flat face and then use the section view manipulator to 'drag' and 'snap' the section origin to any mate connector point in the assembly. More details on how to use the section view can be found in our help documentation: https://cad.onshape.com/help/#moving.htm?Highlight=section
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

Answer ✓
    .@paul_passarelli, You can use mate connector as reference plane which will be created on origin. Kindly refer below video for more detail.

Specific to your issue:- You can create mate connector at same plane position which you used for section cuts in a part studio. This mate connector automatically reflect in assembly studio. Now you can select mate connector as a section plane and you can get desired section. Kindly refer below video

• PahlPahl Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    @paul_passarelli Hi
    How do you create the video clips you are posting? Thanks
    @Pahl, I am using following free video recorder tool which is helpful to me to create gif animation.
    1)  LICEcap: I am using LICEcap tool when my video is without callout. LICEcap can capture an area of your desktop and save it directly to .GIF (for viewing in web browsers, etc) or .LCF (see below). LICEcap is an intuitive but flexible application (for Windows and now OSX), that is designed to be lightweight and function with high performance. In addition to .GIF, LICEcap supports its own native lossless .LCF file format, which allows for higher compression ratios than .GIF, higher quality (more than 256 colors per frame), and more accurate timestamping. If you record to .LCF, you can play back the .LCF files within REAPER (and/or use it to convert to .gif or another video format).
    Features and options:
    • Record directly to .GIF or .LCF.
    • Move the screen capture frame while recording.
    • Pause and restart recording, with optional inserted text messages.
    • Global hotkey (shift+space) to toggle pausing while recording
    • Adjustable maximum recording framerate, to allow throttling CPU usage.
    • Basic title frame, with or without text.
    • Record mouse button presses.
    • Display elapsed time in the recording.
    2) ActivePresenter: I am using this when I need to give callout in video. ActivePresenter is a solution for creating screen-cast videos, handouts, manuals, documentation, and interactive training presentations. With the full-featured editor, ActivePresenter allows you to edit audio/video, tweak the look and feel of content, and define the branched scenarios easily and effectively. Supporting the latest web standard HTML5 and the ability to integrate with Learning Management Systems, the content created with ActivePresenter can be delivered virtually to any devices and platforms. Please refer below thread for detail information
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5256/screen-recording-interactive-elearning-authoring-tool#latest
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited March 2019
    This topic has come up a number of times - I put in an IR for using Implicit Mate Connectors to section in assembly.  You may vote for it here.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Just voted it up,

How about adding mate connector to assembly, then saving it as a start part (start assembly)?

Let me start my way.....

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    I like it @billy2   No longer need a 'dummy part'.

Sounds like you should put in a separate IR...
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I think it's already there, will look for it and post the link.