Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Featurescript: building arrays

jrs_spedleyjrs_spedley Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
I need to build an array of values and nested arrays in featurescript.  They won't be long arrays, typically 100 items for all items but I'm concerned about the "append" command which says "Returns a copy of an array with a single value added to the end."  Is there a better way?
I could use a 'map' with an index but it is a lot of extra complexity.

Comments

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Arrays in FS are "functional", so internally, append does not usually copy the array, but rather reuses the data in the argument.  A sequence of appends is actually significantly more efficient than a sequence of index-based modifications.  The latest version of std has a number of optimizations to containers.fs, so make sure you're using this (e.g., concatenateArrays call used to be very slow, but now it's fast, as it's done in C++).  Also, the FS profiler is your friend and guide here.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • jrs_spedleyjrs_spedley Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Excellent reply and exactly what I hoped you would say! :)
    I take it by latest version you mean the import(path : "onshape/std/geometry.fs", version : "660.0");  How do I find out what the latest version is, I've looked around the website but can't see a list of updates (changelog) for the std files?

Will look into the profiler more, didn't think of checking that for myself.
  • kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    For posterity, and since we are lacking solid documentation on this, I'll add a bit more detail:

If implemented in a language like C, your concerns about append() would absolutely be legitimate. However, in FeatureScript, the language is internally implemented to optimize out the performance and memory concerns of this case and many others like it.

In our documentation, you can read that all FeatureScript values have value semantics (except for a box, which behaves like a pointer in C). This means that, following a statement like newArray = append(oldArray, "newThing"); , a change to newArray will not change oldArray.

What's not in the docs yet is that these value semantics are internally implemented as copy-on-write. This means that, if you don't change either array, the two will secretly share the same location in memory. This memory sharing is completely opaque to the author. The language itself will take care doing the copying when necessary, so to a FeatureScript author, it appears that a copy was made all along.

In the case of arrays and maps, that copy-on-write behavior also applies recursively to values within the array (so that, after one element is changed int a large array, most of the memory will still be shared).

Within this implementation, building an array with append() is a critical specific case we've optimized for. This means append() is in practice the fastest way to populate an array in FeatureScript (faster, even, than using makeArray() and setting all its elements).
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Yes.  See https://cad.onshape.com/documents/12312312345abcabcabcdeff/versionsAndHistory for versions of std.  The latest as of today is 1036.  660 is ancient, from almost two years ago.  Every time we do a major release, we update the std version.
    Hope this helps.  BTW, profiler update is from: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6102/improvements-to-onshape-march-24th-2017
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited April 2019
    @jrs_spedley

There are a couple different ways you can find the correct number.  The easiest is probably making a new document, and making a Feature Studio in that document, and checking what number is at the top of that Feature Studio.

The more exact way of doing this is actually looking at the standard library version.  Here is the Onshape standard library:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/12312312345abcabcabcdeff
    It can be found by searching 'std' on public documents, and looking for the one that is owned by Onshape (but we are looking to make it easier to find in the future).

The current version is accessible by looking at its version graph (or any of the imports in any of the files of the library):

So, your answer for right now is 1036.0
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Ah, I see.  Strangely I didn't for one minute think it actually passed the array by value, i.e. made a deep copy of it, so yes I should have expected that it would be optimised to just append a value (presumably internally as a linked list).
    Yes.  See https://cad.onshape.com/documents/12312312345abcabcabcdeff/versionsAndHistory for versions of std.  The latest as of today is 1036.  660 is ancient, from almost two years ago.  Every time we do a major release, we update the std version.
    Hope this helps.  BTW, profiler update is from: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6102/improvements-to-onshape-march-24th-2017
    Yes, I wrote a featurescript ages ago and I'm updating and improving it.  Didn't even realise there was a version number until this post! :)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
      The latest as of today is 1036.  660 is ancient, from almost two years ago.  
    In other software something less than two years old is "current", and if you're lucky has a couple of service packs released to address the largest bugs, but in OS it's "ancient".  :)
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd