Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Adding a Surface to the main Part

chumachuma Member Posts: 4
[I'm relatively new to Onshape, so I'm probably CADing this the wrong way.

I'm trying to make a lip on a cup edge. When I use the Fill feature, it creates a completely new surface (in white) - is there a way to merge this new surface with the original part?

Comments

• Options
    Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    Can you share your document so we can see the workflow you have taken to get to where you are? Will be easier to provide advice. If it's a public document, just post the link here.
  • Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 235
    I created two examples similar to the image above. One approach is using the loft and fill surface commands, the other using a solid extrude cut. You could also use a revolve cut but I am assuming that the cut profile needs to be uniform through the part. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/af35af5236ef264a88f0ccc0/w/fb7376495e299e9cddb9b9bf/e/04dff67e242e0ad5d1a600ec

Extrude cut at angle

Split face, delete face, loft and fill Surface 

• Options
    Can you share your document so we can see the workflow you have taken to get to where you are? Will be easier to provide advice. If it's a public document, just post the link here.
    Thanks for the note, Cris. First timer here, will link it next time.
  • Options
    I created two examples similar to the image above. One approach is using the loft and fill surface commands, the other using a solid extrude cut. You could also use a revolve cut but I am assuming that the cut profile needs to be uniform through the part. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/af35af5236ef264a88f0ccc0/w/fb7376495e299e9cddb9b9bf/e/04dff67e242e0ad5d1a600ec

Extrude cut at angle

Split face, delete face, loft and fill Surface 

These look great, thank you for taking the time to do this!

I love the loft solution - my big issue was that my initial revolve feature was rendered as a surface instead of a solid and then I couldn't do an extrude cut for some reason. Thanks again.