Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Replicating Offset behavior in FeatureScript

tdesvetdesve Member Posts: 2
edited April 2019 in FeatureScript
I'm am developing a feature allowing me to automate the creation of a spline representing the profile of a slice of a boat hull. Is there a way to programmatically offset the spline as we can do it in a Sketch ? This should allow to give some thickness to the profile.

At the time, I haven't been able to find a suitable function to do this in my FeatureScript. Any though that may help me to make progress ?

Here is the link to the document : https://sso.onshape.com/documents/6c2a8aba1a00e05700132269/w/4ad56285d0fe861a0dd826c1/e/bbdc8ee49ee3bb515014ec86

Thanks,
Thierry

Tagged:

Best Answer

• kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    Answer ✓
    You're correct: There's no direct way to do a 2D offset of sketch entities in FeatureScript.

For your case, I would suggest holding off on doing the offset until you can do a 3D thicken. This would involve leaving a single edge in the sketch, extruding or lofting that edge as a surface, and calling opThicken or opShell on that surface.

These 3D approaches have the additional benefit of ensuring constant thickness throughout the solid (not just on each section).

Answers

• kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    Answer ✓
    You're correct: There's no direct way to do a 2D offset of sketch entities in FeatureScript.

For your case, I would suggest holding off on doing the offset until you can do a 3D thicken. This would involve leaving a single edge in the sketch, extruding or lofting that edge as a surface, and calling opThicken or opShell on that surface.

These 3D approaches have the additional benefit of ensuring constant thickness throughout the solid (not just on each section).
  • tdesvetdesve Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Kevin. I will dig in the approach by creating all slices and converting them in the external surface of the hull. Then apply your steps.