Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Editing Assembly Contexts

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
If I go into a parts studio and select an assembly context, then go ahead and add a part, how can I make sure that this added part gets added to the assembly?

I've tried updating the context, but after I click "Go to assembly", the new part is not there. 

When I create a new in-context part studio, there is an "insert into assembly" button, but this button is not there if I enter the part studio directly. 

I'm sure there's an easy way; I'm just a bit confused. 

Answers

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    You have to go to the assembly and insert the part there

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Update context is a one way street.

"Context" refers to a 3D Photograph (if you will) of the assembly at that point in time.
    While in a part studio AND in "in-context" mode (of which there can be many separate contexts)
    You are given a ghost image of the assembly relative to your "primary instance"

From here you can edit any part within the part studio, or create new parts.

But all new parts are no different than normal, so you will need to insert them manually, and mate them (I would use a group mate relative to the primary instance)

You can also find in certain situations a button on the top middle that says "Insert parts into assembly" that will allow you to select your new parts, and it will save you a step, you will still need to mate them.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    What John said! ^^^
    Philip Thomas - Onshape