Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

In need of: Keyhole FS

Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
Finding an existing FS is proving challenging. I would like an FS that will cut a keyhole by defining a major diameter, minor diameter, slot length, rotation angle, and end type. I think this would be fairly easy for someone that knows what they are doing.

Comments

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Without writing code, you can use SuperDerive: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/51621#Comment_51621
    Just model the keyhole body, with configuration parameters, and then use SuperDerive to bring it in at a mate connector location as a cut.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    Without writing code, you can use SuperDerive: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/51621#Comment_51621
    Just model the keyhole body, with configuration parameters, and then use SuperDerive to bring it in at a mate connector location as a cut.
    That works, but it's taking longer than it would for me to just draw the keyhole, pattern the sketch, and cut it out. I had to reorient and rotate each keyhole individually. Looking more for something that would function like the Hole tool.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    @john_mcclary That's very close. Need to make a few changes for my purposes. I want to place the feature using the smaller end (I was able to figure this out by swapping the diameter definitions in the slot sketch code). I would rather specify a rotation direction because selecting a reference direction takes a few selections to figure out which line is going to give me the correct result, but I don't know how to do that. I'm pretty okay at figuring out how things work when the code is already there, I just don't know how to produce it on my own. 
    Ok, added an option to flip the side with the large hole

edited May 2019
    For the rotation, what did you want to do?

Select a reference edge, then specify rotation angle relative to that?
    or angle based off of sketch plane? based on the sketch plane normal?

The reference edge currently is along the length of the narrow slot, you can fill that all in first, in fact I may move that selection up the UI list, I get confused why there is no slot shown until I remember to click a ref-edge
    edited May 2019
    I was thinking that I would prefer to not select a reference edge, but it's probably a better approach if the part has obscure angles that need aligning. So rotation would be relative to that reference edge, centered around the small hole. I want the small hole as the placement hole, because it is where I want my screw to end up and the more important of the two holes. I'm mostly slotting two parts together with these and need the edges of the parts to align. I've also had instances where I had a double-sided keyhole when I can create parts where orientation doesn't matter, where the large hole is in the center of the slot.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. Gives me a chance to dive into FS a little bit.
    Here you go,

I've added rotation to the list

Works great. Thanks!
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    ^^^
    THIS is what makes Onshape and this Community so amazing.

Nice work guys.

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited May 2019
    Next up:-
    @john_mcclary , I need a pilot program for a V-212 helicopter
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Hah! I just watched that again two days ago XD
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    So awesome to see this collaboration work!
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.