Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dummy Parts for BOM

SmilesonicaSmilesonica Member Posts: 27 PRO
Is there a way to create dummy parts in a part studio?  For example, I want to have a consumable listed on the BOM and I want it counted as a part, but I dont want to draw anything.  Is there a way to create a part in a part studio that has no geometry but that can have other part meta data?

Comments

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    For now it's going to have to have some geometry. You can create it as a surface or just a thin extrusion. Insert it into your assembly and hide it. It should show up in the BOM but won't be visible in your model that way.

• mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    @WiBr

Could you elaborate on your workflow a little bit here? What kind of functionality would you like to see with these non-geometric items?

Best,

Mike
  • SmilesonicaSmilesonica Member Posts: 27 PRO
    @mthiesmeyer
    @lougallo
    Hi,  Thanks for following up.  And actually thinking on it for a day, I don't think it necessarily needs to be at the part studio level.  It would be enough to have an option in the "insert part" at the assembly level to have an option to insert a non-geometric part. 

Some examples are:
    1) adding an adhesive to an assembly, or silicone sealant, as a part (but I'm not going to model the adhesive)
    2) adding an instruction manual to an assembly (also, not going to model a book)
    3) adding items that are consumed during assembly such (I can't specify exactly as to what these items are in my case because it is proprietary, but I'm sure you can imagine what these might be for say an over-moulding process or heat-press process). 

For all of these items, I would want to be able to specify the usual part metadata such as part number, supplier, description, etc.  I would also like to be able to specify a quantity such as x mL, g, kg, whatever.  Normal parts would have a number of parts, but for these "dummy" parts being able to quantify them in other units of measure would be an important feature as just mentioned.

Thanks again
  • SmilesonicaSmilesonica Member Posts: 27 PRO
    @Cris_Bowers
    Thanks for the info, Ill take a look at that.