Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Reverse Break View

Kurtis_HarrisKurtis_Harris Member Posts: 7 PRO
From what I have read and experienced, the Break View tool only allows you to show what is outside the two jogged lines placed in the drawing view, with what is between the two jogged lines removed/hidden.I need the reverse. I need to show what is between the two jogged lines placed in the drawing view, with what is outside the two jogged lines removed/hidden.Is there a way to do this, other than creating a custom part where I remove the geometry before inserting the view?

Crop will not work as a workaround, because Crop doesn't work on a Section view, and the Crop does not carry over from the Orthographic view to the Section view. Speaking of the Crop tool, is there a way to use straight line sections or a rectangle, to give more control to the shape of the crop?

Thank you in advance.

Answers

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    Crop only works with spline for now. I'm not a fan myself.
    If your view is of an assembly, you may be able to get what you need using display states.
  • Kurtis_HarrisKurtis_Harris Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Cris_Bowers,

Thank you again for your help. Unfortunately, no. This is a part. I can do it by modeling the geometry in the final state. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Agreed, Drawings have come a long way, but still have plenty of room for improvement.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    For all the Pro users posting here, I'd encourage you to submit tickets within your session with the drawing up when you hit a current limitation.  

So far, these are the limitations we know about and will get to with the conservation occurring here:

1) An ability to break a section view
    2) An ability for parent/child relationships on views with breaks
    3) An ability to create dependent views of dependent views, crop views of section views for example
    4) An ability crop not just a closed spline region but also a rectangular or circular one
    5) An ability to detail not just a circular region, but also a closed spline or rectangular one.

An inverse of a break view is not really an industry practice, so I'm hesitant to say anything about that - unless there are examples and compelling arguments to be better than what is generally accepted.  I suspect a rectangular cropped view of a section view would be more what @Kurtis_Harris wants.  Keep in mind, closed spline regions are often what's used because it becomes obvious to everyone that the spline outline is not the part, but the view border.  On rectangular cropped views... to distinguish would users here want an ability to show the crop border as part of the view (similar to detail view borders)?
    @PeteYodis it would probably be best to allow the border of the cropped view to be controlled by the user to adhere to different company standards. I've seen it as fully enclosed with dashed, phantom, jagged, hidden, a different line thickness, edges that don't intersect parts as hidden, or completely hidden. Honestly this would be the case for all views created from external geometry.
    As for reverse break view, the only time I can see that being needed rather than crop view is when you have two or more breaks
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @Cris_Bowers & @pete_yodis I also want to add to your list (and maybe this is captured by what Cris said): 

An ability to hide (or format?) the detail view circle that is around the view (not the one that defines where the detail view will come from) 
  • Kurtis_HarrisKurtis_Harris Member Posts: 7 PRO
    PeteYodis,
    Thank you for your reply.
    This is a style that is used where I am currently and at two of my previous employers. Whenever a view is cropped in from one/both ends, either a jogged line or a pipe/rod break symbol as appropriate is placed at the cropped end/both cropped ends to indicate that the view continues on beyond what is shown.
    I will submit a request with a scan of one of our legacy drawings created in another program as an example. I have only been using Onshape full-time for about 3 weeks now. So, I wanted start checking to make sure I wasn't missing something before submitting requests.
    @PeteYodis it would probably be best to allow the border of the cropped view to be controlled by the user to adhere to different company standards. I've seen it as fully enclosed with dashed, phantom, jagged, hidden, a different line thickness, edges that don't intersect parts as hidden, or completely hidden. Honestly this would be the case for all views created from external geometry.
    @Cris_Bowers This is also another separate improvement.  
    Sorta resembles what I'm doing today in SW..

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    On another note, it's amazing what Onshape can do in terms of graphics display quality. That SW drawing is ragged!
    edited May 2019
    IKR!
    I turn off all the frills in SW and it still preforms like a wet sack of @#&* PDFs look nice tho.. guess that counts for something  :(
    Just circling back here... What @Kurtis_Harris and I determined on a ticket... was that he really wants some additional options for how partial section views are displayed in Onshape.  The drawings he is used to making for partial sections don't show the cutting line on the parent view (pretty non-standard), and also show the partially cut edge like this:

I will sometimes hide the cutting line in the parent view. Usually depends on how cluttered the view is and whether or not it is obvious where the section view was taken from. Something I need at times is a projected view that allows me to select a depth, generally when objects further away are larger than the objects I want to show. One way to handle this is to create a section view that doesn't intersect any part geometry (can't do this in Onshape currently) so I can set the depth, then hide the cut line. Or having the option to control visibility of parts directly from the view. This gets around the need to create display states, after I have already started creating my drawings.
    @Cris_Bowers I created a ticket for you.  We have an improvement for any parent or projected view to have a defined view depth that would clip anything in the view beyond that depth.  
  • robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 89 PRO
    ah, +1 on this from me please. Is there a feature request to vote up somewhere? 

Cropping the vies with a spline is tedious and a bit janky when drawings get big. We often run out of the allocated memory on our drawings. The break view is super quick. 
    Why do we need it? Very often in construction industry, drawings of a product need to show part of the context or the structural interface with other parts in the build. There is never a natural place to stop drawing in the layers of construction, and we never want to spend much time modelling geometry that is not ours. The suggestion of a reverse break view  (although only in one dimension) would provide a very easy way cropping the context. Or  can we have a rectangle or polygon fence tool to the crop view tool please?

@pete_yodis, since 2019 I think many of your 1-5 list have now been done, but number 4 seems not have made the sprint list yet? 

Thanks